Re pakcing bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2rivers said:
hey Brownbear, did you get yours through our local Snap-on dealer here in Smithers? I also went to Napa and they quoted me $75 plus shipping. I also looked at Princess Auto but the 3/4" set only goes to 2" - (but it is on sale and I ordered one anyways torque wrnech too FYI). I too am due for a front wheel bearing service....timely post Eric thanks.
cheers,
johnny

ya the local napa was no help... snap on local was a good help.

good to hear of a new smithers telkwa person on this board. What do you drive?

I will keep my eye out for your truck. mine is a old brown BJ60, currently parked getting a slight fix up.

the birf write is what I used. not really hard. just dirty and takes ahwile the first time. oh and do it in warm weather. I did mine in the cold with out heat. -10. not really cold but after 10 hrs the bones start to ach.

Eric Winkworth said:
agreed, which place is the best to order from and how much should I expect to pay?

I got my rebuild kit for my BJ-60 from JT Outfitters. It is in the US but is a complete kit including, the 54 mm socket, wheel and knuckle bearings including the racings and all of the seals/gaskets you need. It was $200 USD, but I had everything I needed... well... I got everything I needed after I noticed they forgot to send me the wheel bearings. If you do go with these guys make sure you ask if they have everything in stock before they ship it.

Also just a note/warning on the cone washers as they can be a pain in the but especially the first time you attempt to take them appart. Once you figure out the trick it is not so bad from there. For me what worked is the brass drift hitting the end of the bolt, however other guys on here swear by tapping the hub assembly near the cone washer a few times. I had a bunch of posts to this group when I did mine so you may want to do a search and see some of the responses. I rememeber someone posted a nice picture with a toyota hammer as to where exactly tap the hub assembly.

Lastly to answer you other question about the brass drift, I got mine from Princess Auto. It came in a pack of 3.

Good luck hope you have an easier time with the cone washers than I did initially :) .

Todd

most of the kits do NOT include the wheel bearings as part of the kit... i have never dealt with JT so i can not comment on theirs...
cheers

When I ordered my kit from JT's they had 2 different kits. One with the wheel bearings and one without. Obviously I bought the one with the bearings since I was in there anyway.

Todd

side note:
i have seldom come across a need to change out the wheel bearings. the races show no wear and the bearings usually are fine.
that being said it is a good idea espec i fyou are in water or mud on a semi-regular basis...
regular highway driving then leave them alone...

I have often wondered about those wheel bearings. I have yet to change any also.Even in my old 4x4 pickups(precruisers)as i like to call them. I haven't seen a worn wheel bearing on any toyota truck axles. I always thought that was what made these axles so great. That is one mother bearing.

On only the few cruisers I've owned or worked on there was at least 1 of 4 on the front end that needed replaced. I usually clean the bearing in solvent then look at the race then bearing. I see alot of pitted and chipped rollers (might only 1 roller) on a bearing and the races looked good. I would agree though if it's never been off road it's less likely they need replaced. Certainly the ones I replaced could have gone a lot more miles too.

thanks for the tips.

HEy Brownbear we should meet up for a coffee - I work in town m-F what about you? I'll PM you and we'll set up a time. I drive Mitsubishi Pajero or an HJ61 depending on which my wife and kid want for the day - my vehicle of choice though is a 87 Hilux double-cab, but it is in my shop withthe box off, interior out, changing all fluids etc. Just got it and it has a few minor issues (loose wheel bearings, minor rust etc) and I am doing a through rust proof on it now while its clean. I'll probably "hippo line" 1/2 of the truck!! haha It wont be a pretty truck but highly functional for what I need a farm truck for.

cheers,
johnny

about to fill in my sig line finally!

hey 2rivers,
That sounds good. I got a buddy I work with that would love to see the rh drive. SO would I.

I give ya a call. Darryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom