re-gearing to 4.88's question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Part of the reason for our currently more dismal mileage is our fuel is getting watered down! To the tune of 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon with E85 and other season blends. Darn ethanol junk.

Part of the reason for our currently more dismal mileage is our fuel is getting watered down! To the tune of 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon with E85 and other season blends. Darn ethanol junk.

yep hate that crap. Pure gasoline produces more energy. Isn't there an app for our phones that tells where to get gas without alcohol?
Seems I have heard that or read it. Ahhh I shall ask google.....

Addendum: yes put "how to find pure gasoline" in google or any search engine. Lots of Lists and maps pop up. I know good gas stations in Houston and a couple of cities I frequent.
Hope they don't all disappear.

And yes there are phone apps too. Gas Plus is the good one. Iphone or Android.

Last edited:
I'm partial to corn Ethanol as long as it's barrel aged, preferably from Kentucky.

I'm about to do lockers so now is really the time I should decide whether to re-gear.

I'm not going over 34" tires or messing with the KDSS. Will most likely end up around 33.5 with STT Pros.

Is the general consensus when I get into mountains and hills and away from flatland the tranny will do a lot of searching for gears??

I'm getting pretty good gas mileage here in flatlandville even though I drive fast and punch it a lot.
15-ish in mixed freeway and city streets and 19-20 on the highway usually @ 70-80.
That is pretty much the same as all the 4wd V8 trucks I've had....or actually a bit better with the cruiser in mixed driving.

I guess 4.88's will drop my mileage a bit on the highway here...and then probably help in the mountains?
Has that been peoples experience???

I'm doing aluminum skids to cut back on weight and also removing the 2nd row seat. When I build a storage compartment to fill in from my front seats to my Arb drawers I'll keep it lightweight also.

Kinda talked myself into doing 4.88's already I guess... :)

What RPM's will I see around 75mph?

IMO try it with stock 3.90 gears and see how it is before you spend $2500 on new gears (or $4k on gears + lockers, since once you're in it why only do half the improvement?) With stock gears, sliders, rack, and heavy 34s I feel a slight loss of power, but it's not bad in Illinois, which is mainly flat. Having been to Houston and Austin, I imagine Texas would be similar. You'll likely never get back the cost of gearing over a 1-2mpg improvement (which you might not even seen).

FWIW I have 34s and I don't feel I need 4.88s for midwest driving. I don't have trouble holding 6th gear on the highway around me at 75-80mph even with my setup. They would be nice in the mountains, but I'm only headed into the rockies once a year. The reason I'd consider 4.88 gears is because I pull a >5000# trailer regularly during the summer, so the gearing would be a marked improvement even in the flat lands, nevermind when heading out west.

Faced with the same choices I opted for only a rear Harrop E-locker, time will tell if I made a good choice.

its easy to justify what you don't have or know. once you've experienced the difference its hard to not want it again. Next cruiser I will re-gear with a quickness if I mod it in the same fashion. ignorance is bliss is the saying I was looking for.

Last edited:
Faced with the same choices I opted for only a rear Harrop E-locker, time will tell if I made a good choice.

When did you put it in? I'd appreciate an update after you put some miles on it. The Harrop E-locker is definitely on my short list of upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom