Raspy Transmission Sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Just picked up a high mileage '98 100 from a Toyota dealer (224k mi.). Everything seems in pretty good working condition. Belts were changed pretty recently, has had regular service and one owner for its life.

One question is that I get a rasping sound at 1500 rpm to around 2000 in 1st gear (and sometimes 2nd).

At first I suspected that it was an issue with transmission when shifting (as it tends to happen right before the car shifts out of first), but I get it even while in L.

I don't generally hear it in neutral (rare exception below), which again makes me suspect it has to do with the tranny.

I've linked to two videos: the first shows going up through 1st gear -- it almost sounds like 2 distinct sounds (once at 1500 rpm and then once before shifting). The second video is in neutral -- there is a slight and very brief rasp as the engine slows down. I am just learning the specifics of the transmission as this is my first automatic vehicle.

Hoping to just get an idea of what to expect before heading to a mechanic.

Dropbox - IMG_8574.m4v
Dropbox - IMG_8576.m4v

cajunking,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 01 makes an identical sound and occurs under the same circumstances. Cat shields don't seem to be the case for me.

cajunking,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 01 makes an identical sound and occurs under the same circumstances. Cat shields don't seem to be the case for me.

In my case, it was the little vibration dampener sticking off the back of the muffler. The heavy weight had broken away from its mount, and was just rattling around the "cage".

I had the same issue, raspy sounding when i accelerate, turns out the O2 sensors bracket was loose and rattling around while making ticking noises as well.

I had the same issue, raspy sounding when i accelerate, turns out the O2 sensors bracket was loose and rattling around while making ticking noises as well.

Thanks I Lean and FxFormat. I've been up and down the underside a few more times with no luck. I will post a result when its uncovered.

As it turns out, passenger side catalytic converter is definitely the culprit. When I tap all along the exhaust lines up to the muffler, I can recreate the sound. However, there is nothing loose on the exterior of the cat converter... it is the innards that are causing the sound. It seems to be full of junk. Also, my muffler does not have a hollow sound when pinged with a hammer - it seems to be full of junk from the cat converter as well. I don't think it's an issue that will leave me stranded by the roadside and with the cost of cat converters, I'm not sure I want to replace it and the muffler just yet. Would any of you be concerned about it?

Sounds right. I just test drove one with 211k in Durham that did the same exact thing. Didn't buy it for other reasons, but generally I wouldn't worry about the sound unless it bothers you. I drove an M3 around with the same damn cat rattle for years. I hated the noise but nothing "mechanical" happened to it and it always passed inspection.

Sounds right. I just test drove one with 211k in Durham that did the same exact thing. Didn't buy it for other reasons, but generally I wouldn't worry about the sound unless it bothers you. I drove an M3 around with the same damn cat rattle for years. I hated the noise but nothing "mechanical" happened to it and it always passed inspection.

Oh yes the cat rattle bothers me, turning the tunes up helps I guess. With all the conversations of cats rarely ever failing, I have some doubts that I've made the correct assessment but have noted the sound to be getting worse in my 4 months of ownership. Gonna keep on trucking at any rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom