Random turn off while in traffic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
1999 Cruiser... ALL maintenance done (timing belt/oil changes/fuel filter etc etc...)... Was driving back home from a day trip to Carmel/Soledad area exploring or wonderful missions with family when we suddenly hit heavy traffic/accident. Wasn't hot (80F) but had the front and rear air on. While stuck in traffic driving bout 5 mph the cruiser decided it needed a short split second break and just turned off. I was able to steer the cruiser with no power to the side shoulder and turn key off.. A split second later I turned key to turn on and it fired right up. NO engine light nothing. Ran a fault code check with my Torque app and nothing stored in ECM. Drove about an hr back home and cruiser drove perfect... What do ya'll think? Was thinking maybe battery has seen better days? Did check the 2 terminals and were nice and tight..

Mine did the same but driving in a parking lot, turned out to be the TPS (throttle position sensor). No check engine light and kept sparking right up when you went to turn it back on again.

TPS replacement is simple, 1 Job. TPS part itself is around $240-280, shop around and remember Lexus 4.7 as well as tundra 4.7 part is interchangeable.

Check your battery and connections first. Loose connection will do that too. My terminals were tight as well, but if you have the factory original with the thin metal and plastic base, mine was corroded on the underside and ended up breaking. Replaced it and all has been well since.

Last edited:
I had a couple shut offs like that. New battery made it all go away. Was definitely a really weird experience the first time it happened... I was going up a steep hill in San Francisco with traffic right behind me, all of a sudden no accelerator and no brakes! Never had so many horns yelling at me... fired right back up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom