Random thoughts of a crazy man... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Been out of the truck forum for a while, but i need to get mine back out and cleaned up, but thats not what this is, This is a rambling man's crazy ideas and I need a just vent a few random thoughts.

This is my 1983 Toyota pickup.
0324181606_HDR.jpg

This is one of the things that makes it special.
0324181606.jpg

This was my grandfather's pickup. It has an L in it mated to a 5spd. While not owned since new, I'm pretty sure Pa was the 2nd owner. He drove it around and liked to show me how he could shift without the clutch.

My dad got it from him in the early 2000s and he put over 150k miles on it. It was a commuter for several years and then he started driving another little pickup and this one became a farm truck. After a while he mostly parked it. I told him if he ever needed to rehome it, it was to come to the farm and live with me. And so it came to live with me on the farm a few years ago.

So here's where the random ramblings come along.

I have always loved this body style truck. I've always wanted an 80s model pickup. So I have one, only problem is it is 2wd.

So there is one side of me that says leave it alone, clean it up, fix it up and just let it be what it is. Then there's the other me that comes up with crazy hair brain ideas that aren't reasonable, but sound awesome in my head.

So my thought is as follows.

Fresh set of 40 axles with 12mm knuckles and disc's up front. 40 axles have the same width as the old early 80s mini trucks.
Sprung under rear and maybe a low slung 3 link front. Maybe just keep it on leafs. Regardless, the 2wd frame will make keeping it low enough for 33s and sit proper.
Now to make the cruiser axles work and to keep the theme going, thinking an older 4cyl diesel with the appropriate toyota 5 speed and a split case.

Then fresh front fenders, factory rear flares, and an sr5 grill. Fresh paint, some factory style graphics and maybe even a chrome roll-bar to really seal the 80s theme.

So, am I crazy. I'd love to hear some thoughts. I know it would be completely changing what it is, but in the end, I think it would be a really different kind of build. It wouldn't be fast and it'd take a while to gather up all the misc bits. It might never happen, and mostly I think I just needed to get it out of mind.

Last edited:
I'd go with Mini axles instead. Just me.

Build it either radius arm or 3 link up front. Use coil-over springs even if you don't use coil-over shocks. Makes it real easy to get the right spring rate. If you insist on leafs use OME lights up front. I'd go GM63's in the rear regardless of the front.

One per tire set of Bils 7100 RR's will ride nicely. If you do go with the GM's in the rear, order the rear 7100's with their 275/78 valving. The GM's have enough less internal friction that the Bils std leaf valving (255/70) is a bit too light. Coils get their own valving, but the OME's will work extremely well with the std valving.

One problem that you run into wanting a low ride height is that you will have to build the right side steering arm. All of the cross-over arms put the drag link up too high and oil pan contact is likely unless you space the bumps down until there's very little up travel. I built the one for Patch such that it only just barely cleared the top of the RS leaf spring in the worst case position using a flat pitam arm (Skye, I think), and it still managed to dimple the oil pan.

I would leave as is, just maintain and clean it up a bit. It looks like a good surviver of an ultra rare truck. I had an '87 Isuzu Pup diesel 5 speed and it was the most useful truck and got 35 mpg's. It squeaked like a bitch, but I loved that little purring 2.2 l diesel engine sound. I used it to haul all sorts of stuff. Keep it stock, it's a classic, IMHO.

What kind of MPG's do you get with the little Toyota? If prices keep going up, it might get used more than you think.

I would keep it stock- from your sig, looks like you have other good 4x4 rigs; if you really want a 4WD pickup, go get one, don't go all Frankenstien on a really cool truck.

Cheers!

Why not just solid axle 4wd conversion with minitruck parts? Leave the current diesel in there. Doesn’t need to be complicated. 40 axles are big (9.5” diff) and overkill unless you plan to wheel the truck. Even then, there’s really no point in the 9.5” diff compared to the 8” as the birfs are the weak point.

Or leave it stock.

I'm with @BlueCruiser84 on this one - a 4WD conversion with same year minitruck parts... right down to the shifter boot - would be such a cool truck. I wouldn't be surprised if it would pay for itself, i.e., a clean diesel, LHD, 4WD is worth a LOT more than a 2WD.

Please leave it stock, hard to find a good truck like that.

I would leave it stock for the reason that it hardly has enough power for the 2wd platform.
if you convert it to 4wd, it'll barely get out of it's own way on the street.
it's obviously cool that toyota gave us some diesels a while back, but the 2l is pretty gutless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom