Random Rattling... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate for this to be the way I introduce myself. But here it goes...

I picekd up my 80 on Wednsday, and I absolutely love it. Just some slight paint fading and a few dings but other than that its in good condition. I had no issue driving it around yesterday. Until I decided to do a little offroading :D. I didnt hit any major bumps or anything, just smooth easy trails....

But as soon as I got back onto the main road there was this rattling going on. I cant exactly tell where it is coming from but I know it is comign from under the car (nothing is dragging). It happens most often when i start to accelereate, but then its totally random when it starts back up again.

I took it to the dealership, and of course they were closed, besided one guy who had absolutely know clue what the rattling was coming from. So my plans are to take it back to the dealership tommorow morning.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Not from that description. describe rattling....you check under to see if skid plates or rear hitch was loose? maybe the hitch in the receiver?

Exhaust pipe and catalytic converter shields come to mind. That's been my source of rattling on my 92.
Hose clamps and a mig welder are the fix.

Exhaust pipe and catalytic converter shields come to mind. That's been my source of rattling on my 92.
Hose clamps and a mig welder are the fix.

x2 that's what the rattling is on mine... heat shield...

Most likely it's one of the hangers somewhere around the muffler. When it's cool, get down there and follow from the Y pipe all the way back trying to make it move, when you find the loose spot, take it in and have it welded. I have this problem all the time and use bailing wire for a trail fix until I get back to where someone can weld it.

If it's a deep rattle, could be a body mount that needs tightening

May help to have some outside the truck listen while you try and recreate the rattle.

x whatever on the exhaust. Go under and bang on all the shields, check the exhaust for excessive movement. Look for clean spots on the exhaust, muffler and cats. That would be a sign that it is rubbing on something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom