Random Coolant Leak - need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

So I've got a random coolant leak at the back of the block - nothing huge -seems to puddle around the area where you'd expect for the PHH or the TB hose. Sometimes it leaks - sometimes it doesn't.

I did a full radiator flush and hose replacement 5k ago.

I'm seeing a small amount of dried residue around where the PHH and TB hoses attach to the block - nothing wet - at least when I had a chance to look at it this afternoon.
I checked it after it cooled down and then while running.

I made sure the clamps were tight.
Oil looks fine - nothing cloudy.
Coolant looks fine - same.
Blackstone kit is ordered.

I'm under a time crunch - got a wheeling trip planned Saturday morning.

Any advice before the trip? Or just pack some water and go?

I found a similar leak under my vehicle. Took it to my local shop and they correctly diagnosed it as a COOLANT LEAK FROM THE HEATER CONTROL VALVE...They removed and replaced the heater control valve. This did require draining the coolant system, refilling and checking for leaks. The heater vale cost $37.50 if I recollect. The labor charge included other work...therefore... my guess is about $200 +/- for this spedific repair. For many on the fourm this may be an easy fix. I had it fixed because I do use the rear floor heater for my passengers upon request.

Good luck in your search for resolution.

Thanks
I replaced the HCV at the time of flush/hose replacement, but I'll be sure to check it in the morning.

The dye kit for coolant that comes with the yellow glasses and the little UV(?) light on a foot long flexy wand is the sizzle for finding pesky leaks in hard to reach places. Put the dye in, drive, pull back in and the little light lets you poke it down between other hoses that are NOT leaking to find the one that is. Best $25 I've spent in a long time. I don't know which FLAPS I got it at but a search should pull it up somewhere. I have a bunch of leaky old cars and this helps find things fast and know the exact item with certainty.

Even better - though a head's up I had a hard time finding an adapter for my stock 80 radiator for some reason.

Rear heater lines rusting through?

Remove the driver's side wheel and look where the PHH and throttle body heater hose are. If you are leaking there, you can see exactly where the coolant is leaking via the dried up water/coolant marks on the block or hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom