Raising the spare tire, in stock location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 80 series, the spare tire hung REALLY low, but there was a mod that moved the mount up about 4 inches, which then made my tow receiver the lowest hitting point in the rear. I searched a little bit and did not find anything similar for the 200.

Does anyone know of a mod that would push the spare up to keep it from being the lowest drag point in the stock location?

On my 80 series, the spare tire hung REALLY low, but there was a mod that moved the mount up about 4 inches, which then made my tow receiver the lowest hitting point in the rear. I searched a little bit and did not find anything similar for the 200.

Does anyone know of a mod that would push the spare up to keep it from being the lowest drag point in the stock location?

I don't think there's much more space under there to move upward...but I did notice that tire shops often fail to properly position the spare while raising it.

-I had my tires rotated/balanced recently, and the tire was mounted WAY LOW. Turns out they just cranked it up, and didn't pay attention to whether it cleared the bracket. So it was screwed down tight, but wedged OVER the bracket, rather than within the cradle of the bracket. This pushed it down and back several more inches than necessary. When I fixed this it moved up about 3 inches.

Any chance it's just covering the bracket improperly like they did with mine?

Well, when they mounted up the spare, the guy was literally laying on his back guiding it, so I don't think so, but I can check. I do know that it hangs well below anything else was being dragged when I went out earlier this week driving over that obstacle in the road.

Well, when they mounted up the spare, the guy was literally laying on his back guiding it, so I don't think so, but I can check. I do know that it hangs well below anything else was being dragged when I went out earlier this week driving over that obstacle in the road.

Can you post a photo of the view from behind your truck? That sounds strangely low if it's hitting stuff on the road.

Hamish Spare.jpg

This is the back end. I guess the spare is no lower than the muffler, but I am still wondering if I can tuck it up any more. I want to protect it as much as possible.
Oh, and this is what was in the road...
20160418_162928.jpg

View attachment 1246395
This is the back end. I guess the spare is no lower than the muffler, but I am still wondering if I can tuck it up any more. I want to protect it as much as possible.
Oh, and this is what was in the road...
View attachment 1246396

Lol! OK. :) I though you just meant pavement debris! Your spare looks just like mine...

Looks like it's time for a rear bumper with tire carrier... and then maybe a custom pipe mod like Willy did in order to deal with the massive appendage (muffler/resonator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom