Raising the BAR: California 22re swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey toast, on the fuel gauge float just reuse the one from your old tank.

I was gonna start a new thread for my Chevy spring swap but I figured it would be better to just put it on my current unused thread lol. So here it is, my Chevy spring swap;
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272074.396364.jpg

Current shackle angle with no weight on the OME springs.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272138.503059.jpg

Huge difference in length!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272209.707045.jpg

OME springs about to come off.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272253.678418.jpg

Used ruff stuff's kit. Bad ass kit. Very happy with it. 11.5" from eye to eye puts the axle in stock location.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272348.068939.jpg

4.5" from eye to eye on rear hanger gives you a 60 degree shackle angle with an unloaded bed.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442272418.888954.jpg

Ready to bolt up!
Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Let us know how you like the ride and flex. I'm sure it must be awesome because this swap is so popular. Still, it's good to hear it from someone who just went thru it. I'm going to go this route when the time comes.
I sure could use a scissor lift like yours... Very handy accompanyment with your car lift.

Absolutely love the ride and flex! It's everything I ever could have asked for. 3" of lift which made my truck dead level. Pinion angle didn't change, e-brake hooks right back up. Pretty much everything is perfect.

I'm a little late to this party, but I'm in the process of an EFI swap on my 89 2WD pickup. Everything I got was from a 1994 2WD pickup. Engine control harness, fuse block/engine bay harness, dash harness, fuel pump harness, fuel tank, fuel pump bracket/sender, ECM. Any questions, feel free to message me. Good luck. Can't beat EFI.

Hey thanks man! I definitely will! Did you go to BAR and get it tagged as an EFI?

Toast you need to finish this :flipoff2:

Lol story of my life! I'm calling the machinist on my Monday.... This is getting out of hand

Ok so let me dust off this thread and put a little fire into it. Haven't given up and have been hard at work. So my surprise, there isn't a ton of info (easily found) on swapping a complete 22re, harness, tank, etc, etc into a 22r truck. Most people go the solding route. Soooo! Here's what I'm up against. I have an 84 DLX single cab 22r that I originally converted to a sr5 model. Added all the bells and whistles essentially. My donor truck is a 11/88 aka 89 4Runner. I figured, hey, it's pretty much the same right?! I'm an idiot. So much extra stuff. Pulled the dash and put the runner harness in. To my surprise most everything plugged in except: overhead dome light/map light, ac sub-harness and door check light plugs. These are what I've found so far... my concern is that if I leave all the un-used plugs unplugged am I going to have issues?? I figure the engine harness is all there and plugged in accordingly, shouldn't it run no problem?? Opinions please!! Also !FUEL TANKS! Single cab, Xtra cab and 4Runner ALL DIFFERENT! You must use the tank from a corresponding vehicle like your own! Found this out the hard way. Also, AC COMPRESSORS AND BRACKETS!!! They are all different people!! 91/92 to 95 are completely different that say a 85/86. I'm pretty sure there are about 3 or 4 different styles of compressors and bracket combos. Beware, they don't bolt up to each other. Now I'm dealing with the O2 sensor... need some input on that as well. I got the good 4 wire heated one that is on the 91/92 -95 models. Was told this is the way to go. Now I just can't seem to locate the original O2 sensor plug on this 89 harness. Any help would be sooo awesome. Hope I helped someone with this info...

Located a single cab 88 efi for a parts donor. Got the tank out and am going to install it on my truck this week. So I currently am using a complete 4Runner harness and am contemplating on swapping it out for the 88 harness. The only thing is that I already have a lot of money into this late gen re. Injectors, T/B, ect, etc. Everythig is different on the 88 engine so I would have to use everything from the 88. Anyways, my thought is why not run the 89 4Runner engine harness with the 88 single cab body harness??? ECUs are similar 3 plug style. Thoughts??? I would run the runner ECU.

Tank is in along with the fuel line. FYI to those out there; main fuel delivery line for efi is very similar in 2nd and 3rd gen applications. 3rd gen fuel line is still available but the 2nd gen isn't. Just have to bend it some. Also the soft line from the tank to the hard line is different for each application i.e. Single cab, extra cab and 4Runner. Some soft lines are still available but pricey. Return fuel lines are pretty much the same for R and RE. They are slightly different at the fenderwell in the engine bay but will work no problem. More to come

Located a single cab 88 efi for a parts donor. Got the tank out and am going to install it on my truck this week. So I currently am using a complete 4Runner harness and am contemplating on swapping it out for the 88 harness. The only thing is that I already have a lot of money into this late gen re. Injectors, T/B, ect, etc. Everythig is different on the 88 engine so I would have to use everything from the 88. Anyways, my thought is why not run the 89 4Runner engine harness with the 88 single cab body harness??? ECUs are similar 3 plug style. Thoughts??? I would run the runner ECU.

Can't you use the 89 injectors with the 88 harness if you swap the wiring harness connectors? Just pop the pins and put into the correct connector. I would think this would also go for the other electrical connectors. You would just need to compare the wiring between the two with the EWDs.

I could also be all wet.

No, there's a voltage difference between the 88 and 89 injectors

No, there's a voltage difference between the 88 and 89 injectors

Thanks for the correction. I knew the connectors were different, I didn't know about the voltage.

:beer:

She runs! And very well at that! Finally getting this swap completed! And yes, 88 and 89 slightly different in that sense. So I ended up running my 89 4Runner engine harness and ECU and used the 88 body harness. All the plugs are identical and plug in except for one. Had to do some surgery but everything is working now.

These were the two plugs that were a tad off. Just had to re-route the injector resistor wire from the 88 into the main plug from the 89. Hope this info helps people.

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

While in the midst of this project I wasn't able to find a lot of the info I needed to do this swap. Even doing intense searches I found very few threads doing a swap such as mine. So for future yota heads out there doing this swap here is a few things I found along the way.... this info pertains to people who have a 2nd gen 22r rig and want to efi swap it by replacing everything instead of converting.

1. It is absolutely best to find a donor vehicle that is the same as yours; i.e. Single cab, xtra cab, 4Runner.

2. A/C compressors and brackets are all different.

3. Fuel tanks are all different and cannot be interchanged.

4. Fuel soft line from tank to frame are different lengths on each model.

5. Fuel return lines are the same from 22r and re.

6. A/C sub harness plug is different. You will need to sacrifice your old plug and solder it onto your new harness. All the wires are the same color code except 1. ( same thing for the wiper motor, wires are the same though.)

7. Re-locate your new re charcoal canister under your battery using the bracket from your r one.

8. New igniter bolts up

9. A 2" hole is needed in fire wall under wiper motor

10. Each year has different electronic components in the engine. Don't mix and match things. Be sure to use 1 year.

11. 22r is 0 degrees on crank when stabbing dizzy and re is 5.

12. Adjust your valves before start up!

13. Prime your oil pump!!!!

14. Be patient and do it right the first time.

IMG_0114.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom