Rain leak into cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the part numbers cool breeze!

Cardreader - thank you, thank you, thank you. I live in West (wet) Africa with my US spec FZJ80. Wet carpets become, destroyed interiors in a matter of days...just spent four hours with a jar of bleach tainted detergent water and a toothbrush getting milldew out of my seat belt reels/window switches/mats/nooks and crannies. One week prior, I had just wiped with a clean cloth...nothin' doin'. Gotta kill the mold spores with bleach

Had the head liner off and was pouring water diredtly into the sunroof rails with the roof open. Peeked under the headliner and voila! There came the water....Right where you said it would be. This, after weeks of fighting the same battle as Soggy60...drain tubes/fire wall a/c hoses/wind sheild issues. The local mechanics in Dakar, Senegal are...well...crap. You would think with a ralley tradition here I could find someone with some knowledge...nope.

You saved my leather interior...thanks again. BTW...a 97 US spec FZJ80 in okay to ragged shape here still fetches 12 grand! That's a testament to these trucks. Same year Jeep cherokee sport....just slightly tatty shape....1 grand, yes, $1,000. Ma Toyota c'est fantasitque! That's what the little dealership stickers say here.

Great suggestion and write up. Can't wait to check it on my 91. I have the same water storage issue in the carpet as well as the ballast point directly under the PS F&R doors.

Good timing as I was noticing water after a rain on my passenger side (your driver side) floor. I just looked at those cover plates on mine, and the passenger side was flat but the screw was loose, while my driver side one is warped. I tightened the one down, and will see if that makes a difference, and order some new ones soon.
I also noticed some flakes of scaled rust had collected at the front drain on my passenger side. I cleaned them all out, but couldn't see where the rust was flaking from. Everything else up there seems to be in pretty good shape.

Do the new ones come with the machine screws? I could see dropping and losing one of those quite easily.

Just did this repair on th 94. It did the trick. Thanks Mud!!!!!

Still works

Just found soggy DS floor, searched and found my answers here. Thanks all. MUD ROCKS!!:clap:

Checked mine, they were cracked and warped badly. Priced them at dealership for ~$18 each. Decided to temporarily use duck tape to cover the sunroof cable holes and guide water away... carpet still getting wet during heavy rainfall. Drains have been confirmed as clear and functional... No stains anywhere on the headliner, etc.

Side note: the pop-up wind delfector rattles while driving with the "sliding roof guide rails" removed...

I hate to be that guy to resurrect a post six months later but I did not want to start a new thread, having to go through the process of explaining what my problem is since the fella's on this post already know.

I've confirmed that my A-pillar leak is indeed coming from the "cable cover" described here (passenger side). It's warped but nothing major. Upon further inspection, it's actually dripping from the metal threaded grommet that the cable cover screws into. Perhaps others have noticed similar leaking if their cover is warped. I'm going to price a new cable cover today from Mr. T but am also wondering if a well-placed bead of silicone would be advised before I button everything back up?

My sunroof drain holes are not obstructed so I was convinced it was my windshield leaking. It mad no sense however, since the water was only towards the rear of the A-pillar fabric. Not until I pulled the headliner back and poured water over the BACK of my closed sunroof did I see the drip coming from the metal grommet.

Thanks.

--Mark

Last edited:
So, I have a new to me 97 Cruiser and it just started to rain. I have a wet driver's side carpet. First night I had a wet corner of the headliner nearest the front left corner of the sunroof opening. I snaked cable down the drain and chased wire and weedeater string down. I pulled all plugs from underneath the vehicle and the only one with water was the one draining the cabin not the rocker panels. I poured water in the sunroof and it came out the rocker panel slit as expected. Thought it was fixed.

It rained again lastnight and again wet driver's side carpet. I mean really sopping wet. I checked the above mentioned clip and it looks fine. This time however the headliner was not wet. I have pulled up the carpet and removed the kick panel. the only water I see is under the wiring harness to the rear of the vehicle and under a majority of the carpet. I can't see water running down anything.

Any suggestions? Any information on removing headliner?

Reseal your windshield.

I THINK it was a combo of the front deflector pooling water as I parked down hill and old gasket around glass. How that puts water in floor I have no idea. I ran hose directly over corner of sunroof and no water came in minus front deflector. I'll dry carpet and hope for best.*

BTT on this.

I ran my recently acquired '94 FZJ80 through a car wash yesterday (was trying to show the triplets a good time) and discovered that this cruiser also is victim to the leaking sunroof. I had water (lot's of it) pouring in from the grab bars on each A pillar. I could see the water soaking in from above that, but the grab bars were the path of least resistance for the water to come out. It got me wet, and also got the passenger side seat wet. Now I understand why the leather on the pass seat is so cracked up :)

At any rate, I found this thread and decided to inspect the cable covers - I found the pass side to be pretty much hosed (it's in two pieces and really warped) and the driver's side to be warped a bit. I did pour some water down into the channels and all four drain just fine, so I don't think the drain hoses are the problem.

Those of you who have replaced the cable covers - did this fix the problem? I am going to replace the existing ones with new ones that are on order, but I am wondering if this fix has been successful.

Also, I have a lot of wind noise that comes in around the sunroof glass. If I push up when it's closed, the wind noise is gone. What's the fix for this - replace the glass?

Thanks Mud!

I'll have to check mine.. I get water on the passenger side carpet underneath the mat. but none in the headliner.

I opened the sunroof a bit and applied this tape to the front of the gasket around the glass. Had to trim it down a bit since it is wider than the glass. But it creates a better seal to the front of the glass and the sunroof opening. It quieted the noise and helped seal the interface.

enlarged.php

I bought the cable covers and I still have an A-pillar leak. I have been trying to track this down for years now, have to keep digging.

Have been chasing leaks, and the DS one on mine was definitely leaking under the heavy rains lately. It was warped slightly and water was passing through to the headliner, down the A-pillar and into the wiring and carpet! I decided to pull the dust covers and add a thick bead of FIPG all around to seal them up...should keep the water out now...passed the hose test.

On a related note, does anyone know if the actual rubber seal around the sunroof glass is available? Mine is definitely not sealing, adding more water to the drain-system than I would like.

:cheers:

Steve

Cardreader, :beer::beer::beer: to ya

Finally got a look at mine....

Port side kinda warped, not as bad as you pic

Starborad side; warped, twisted, cracked...worse than your pic.

Thak you, thank you . . .

Hopefully, this will reduce, if not eliminate' the rain dribble to pooling and the yuuch smell too :bounce:

X2 Mine has been doing this for a while, but since it hasn't rained much I have ignored it. For $10 this will hopefully be quick afternoon fix.

Thanks for all the great tips. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom