Rag joint replacement questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of replacing my rag joint, and have read through forum posts, as well as referenced my FSM.

I've loosened the bolts on my old rag joint, and it's free from the splines and steering shaft.

Does anyone have some advice as to how to loosen the steering shaft above the rag joint, so I can take it off and replace it? FSM and Haynes are lacking this info, and I haven't found a good write-up here. I'm hoping someone can chime in before I waste a bunch of time pulling things apart.

Thanks, all!

I literally just did mine 3 hours ago. You need to remove the 4 bolts for the steering column then the 2 under the lip of the dash. You can pull the entire column back about 4 inches which is enough to swap out the rag joint. It took me about 15 minutes to do mine.

I have used the borgeson u joints on a couple of vehicles now (including my 40 with a mini box ps conversion). In my 40 I liked that it eliminated the need for a lower steering column support bearing, the input bearing on the ps box, along with the u joint supports the steering shaft.

If you have a lower steering shaft support bearing then the u joint is likely a poor choice.

I literally just did mine 3 hours ago. You need to remove the 4 bolts for the steering column then the 2 under the lip of the dash. You can pull the entire column back about 4 inches which is enough to swap out the rag joint. It took me about 15 minutes to do mine.
Awesome, thanks for this info. I'll be back at work on the truck this weekend, and will report back. Thanks!

I have used the borgeson u joints on a couple of vehicles now (including my 40 with a mini box ps conversion). In my 40 I liked that it eliminated the need for a lower steering column support bearing, the input bearing on the ps box, along with the u joint supports the steering shaft.

If you have a lower steering shaft support bearing then the u joint is likely a poor choice.
Yeah, this isn't really applicable to my situation. Manual steering, replacing tthe stock rag joint with the same. Thanks for chiming in.

Should just slide on - this is where you can get your steering wheel centered too if it wasn't.
Yeah, it's giving me some sass getting it back on. I didn't see any differentiation in the splines, so I don't think it's that. I thought a touch of grease, and it would slide back on, too.

Maybe I should try to gently spread the joint then try again?

Is it the oem rag joint? I don't recall it taking much effort at all to put back on.
Nope, it's not OEM, and I guess I'm paying the price for that now. It's the non-OEM from CruiserCorps, which had some good reviews.

FWIW, it did take some work with a hammer to get the old rag joint off.

Yeah, it's giving me some sass getting it back on. I didn't see any differentiation in the splines, so I don't think it's that. I thought a touch of grease, and it would slide back on, too.

Maybe I should try to gently spread the joint then try again?

Get it all lined up and give your steering wheel a small smack with both hands on either side of the wheel to drive the rag joint on haha! It doesn't take a lot of force. Mine was a non-OEM rag joint I got somewhere for $20 and it went on in just a few minutes.

OK, I pried open the joint a bit, and was able to get the rag joint on by hand a few light taps of the hammer. Thanks for the help, all.

Going to take a spin after lunch and see how it goes.

I'm working on my rag joint right now. I've been spraying it with pb blaster for 2 days now and it hasn't budged. Do you think I should keep on for a few more days? Or more extreme measures? Or am I messing it all up and doing it wrong?

I'm working on my rag joint right now. I've been spraying it with pb blaster for 2 days now and it hasn't budged. Do you think I should keep on for a few more days? Or more extreme measures? Or am I messing it all up and doing it wrong?
Tell us a bit more.

The bolts won't budge? Or, you've been able to loosen the bolts, but the unit itself won't come off?

Tell us a bit more.

The bolts won't budge? Or, you've been able to loosen the bolts, but the unit itself won't come off?
The bolts came all off, along with the tightening bolt with ease. I pulled the steering wheel up a few inches. I can't remove the rag joint from the spline.

It's been a while since I've been in the engine compartment, but I recall that spacing being pretty tight, and hard to get a tool in there. I know I removed the heat shield that was in there.

Have you tried a few good raps with a heavy hammer and broad punch or drift? Sounds like it may just be seized up a bit from years of being on there. Or, perhaps try to gently spread the rag joint fitting with a big screwdriver or pry bar. I recall having to do that a bit.

I finally got it after 4 days! It didn't just come off though. I bought a ball joint separator from harbor freight. Put oi in through the bottom area and pulled. It didn't do anything. Then I got a ratchet and put out around my axle and cranked it. It finally came off. I'm trying to post pictures, but I'm new and not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'll ppos them off I can figure it out! Thanks for all the replies!

I finally got it after 4 days! It didn't just come off though. I bought a ball joint separator from harbor freight. Put oi in through the bottom area and pulled. It didn't do anything. Then I got a ratchet and put out around my axle and cranked it. It finally came off. I'm trying to post pictures, but I'm new and not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'll ppos them off I can figure it out! Thanks for all the replies!
Glad you got it off! Sounds like you had to work for it.

When you put the new one on, make sure the splines on the steering shaft are clean, and lightly greased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom