Radio Wire Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was hoping to install the factory OEM Radio in my 1991 FJ80.

I removed the BOSS (el cheapo) unit from the dash and discovered this "FORK in the ROAD" scenario. The install seemed clean and professional but how in the world does the OEM go back in there? Are the three white OEM plug ins for different factory options all in one harness? I know the black connector (photo 2) is aftermarket for the BOSS brand radio. Any thoughts?

I need new speakers as well and just wanted to reinstall the OEM radio for a modest radio set up that looked completely stock.

Thoughts? Is this after market PIN connector pretty standard and should I just buy a higher end after market unit and move on?

Thanks, hopefully some one knows how they do it these days.

Thanks,

RKTINC.

IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2434.jpg

If not altered, the factory plugs in your dash should plug directly into the appropriate factory receiver. Your pic appears to show an aftermarket wiring harness adapter. Ditch it. Also keep in mind the factory amp might have been disconnected when the aftermarket stereo was installed.

Would a 91 FJ80 have a factory amp? I know my 96 4Runner has an amp, but was unsure if 91 Cruisers had one. The head unit is the large double din with the CD and Cassette Combo. It has the three pop out buttons for the eq.

What MoJ said.

Your factory plug in is gone. What your holding there is an aftermarket adapter. To bad it isn't the kind of adapter that plugs into the factory one.

As far as I know the factory amp is up behind the glovebox.

Or as the next person has pointed out that may be another adapter leading to the first leading to the the original. Prolly not in my uneducated opinion though.

For later 80’s the factory amp is behind the pass side dash speaker. Not certain for 91-92. In either event, that’s not your primary concern. First match up the remaining dash wiring with the correct plugs to connect to the oem receiver you’re wanting to install.

What MoJ said.

Your factory plug in is gone. What your holding there is an aftermarket adapter. To bad it isn't the kind of adapter that plugs into the factory one.

As far as I know the factory amp is up behind the glovebox.

Not nessarily. A universal adapter will have the factory plug on one end and bare wires on the other to allow use of any after market radio. You splice the radio harness to the adapter. There are some companies that sell vehicle and radio specific adapters but most are the universal style.

That is what I was hoping for as the three white plugs look to be original. I have two identical OEM radios, however, each seem to have different rear plug ins. I am swapping parts from a 92 to a 91 so there may be subtle differences. I will double check to see if one of those white plugs will work on the "good" OEM radio. If not I have the OEM plug from the 92 dash and might just swap those plugs if it looks doable. I may just give up and go buy a nice Sony Car Play glass screen head unit with new speakers and be done with it. Thanks for all the help. You are all so helpful.

RKTINC

That is what I was hoping for as the three white plugs look to be original. I have two identical OEM radios, however, each seem to have different rear plug ins. I am swapping parts from a 92 to a 91 so there may be subtle differences. I will double check to see if one of those white plugs will work on the "good" OEM radio. If not I have the OEM plug from the 92 dash and might just swap those plugs if it looks doable. I may just give up and go buy a nice Sony Car Play glass screen head unit with new speakers and be done with it. Thanks for all the help. You are all so helpful.

RKTINC

I vote for the new head unit and speakers. You’ll be much happier with it if you want to listen to music or anything. If you want to have a backup camera it makes that easier too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom