Radio Head Unit Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone upgraded to the larger floating screen type radio head units in their 80 series? If so please share some pictures.

I still have a stock radio head unit and am looking to upgrade. The large screens are tempting just not sure how they would look and how much they would hide adjacent . Kenwood makes a unit with 10" screen and Alpine Halo series goes up to 11" screen.

Looks like sticking with the double DIN unit that will fit in place of existing I will be looking at a +/- 6.7" screen.

Thanks
Chuck West

Yeah, PIM did a heck of job on that!

I upgraded to an Android unit with a 7" screen. Had to enlarge the opening for it to fit. It's awesome having a full tablet built into the dash. Google maps, google earth, and locus maps all loaded and functional with a hotspot from my phone.

Wow, now that's the way to do it! The low radio position is one of the reasons I took out my "Carplay" unit and put a cheaper/dumber radio in. My phone is mounted higher than the radio, so it made no sense to have Carplay and have to look further down. Even more of an issue in my van, where the radio is below my knees. I wonder when stereo manufacturers will realize this and come up with a "cable" solution, so the screen could be mounted almost anywhere and then cabled to the headunit. That would be awesome and more flexible! Hmm... might have to get one of these units and see if I can rig up my own cable extension... (but that's probably beyond me).

Hurray, mainstream manufacturers (Pioneer) are catching on to the need for "remote" displays.

I install a cheap chinese double din 10.1 android unit for over 2 years now. For only 180 bucks, it's work fine but it's take about 15 second to boot up when you start the car.
IMG_20210118_115000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom