1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator Only Flush

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MattL, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MattL

MattL

Hey all. Had an upper radiator hose leak a few weeks back after a long mountain trip. Looked like the clamp rubbed through the hose itself. In a pinch I found one at a local NAPA as a replacement but yesterday I replaced all 3 hoses and clamps (upper and two lowers) plus thermostat, gasket, and radiator cap with OE equipment.

I only drained the radiator and did not touch the plug on the side of the block. I did about 3 full distilled flushes (got a significant amount of flakes out) and then refilled with Prestone/Distilled Water 50/50ish.

Did the whole warm up to temp after each refill with heater open. After adding the coolant I took the truck out and it didn't hit above 193 with A/C on. Parked and checked this morning and radiator was still full but I needed to top off the reservoir ever so slightly.

Is it okay that I only drained via the radiator drain plug for now until I can get a full flush done in a few weeks? I'll be heading back to the mountains this weekend and would like to know if not draining through the plug on the block can have severe consequences?

Thanks!

2. 2fpower

2fpower SILVER Star

you should be fine.

3. mct75

mct75

I have never messed with the block drain plug. Yes this is not the "right way" but to me the risk of the threads screwing up or leaking isn't worth getting those last bits out.

DirtScaresMe, ZackR and Dalton wyatt like this.
  4. DirtScaresMe

DirtScaresMe Trouble Maker SILVER Star

Glad I'm not the only one in this boat.

5. BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Media:
    Albums:
    You're fine. You just didn't flush EVERYTHING out. No worries though.

maxamillion2345 likes this.
  6. Alleycats

Alleycats

Actually, the block drain plug is easily accessed from the wheel well with a ratchet extension. But whatever.

MoJ likes this.