R151F transmission - replacement questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Clutch parts sourcing at Fitinpart

1993 Prado with 1KZ-TE engine.
Got the clutch and associated parts replaced - but that did not fix the failure. There are transmission issues.
I've researched and found most parts available from various resources - if doing a rebuild.
Considering replacement and have found a couple of used transmissions in the MUD classified. One for a 22RE engine and one for a 1HZ engine.
Are there different R151F's for different engines? Or will any R151F bolt up to the bellhousings for different engines?

The R-series case has the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing across all models, so any bellhousing will bolt to any transmission. The only engine-specific part of the transmission would be the input shaft; there were several versions for different engines, but they're interchangeable too. The main thing to be aware of is that pretty much all of the internal components changed in 1996, most notably the output shaft bearing. That necessitates a different transfer adapter with the proper journal size, and the updated transfer adapter (for the LC split case) is longer and has a different transmission mount.

Long story short, a 79-series R151f would work, but would require a new transmission crossmember, extended transfer shift linkage, and modified driveshafts. A 22RTE R151f would bolt straight in with your transfer adapter and transfer case.

Are you sure you have the R151f and not the R150f? My LJ78 came with an R150f. If you have the R150f your options are much better as it was found behind all the 3.0 V6 Toyotas. The only difference between the 151 and 150 is that 1st and 2nd gear are lower ratios in the 151.

Hopefully this shows the difference between the two transfer adapters. Both bolt to the LC split transfer case.
Stock LJ/KZJ:
IMG_0387.jpg

1999+ HZJ:
IMG_1662.jpg

This shows the approximate length difference; these are the two output shaft splines that couple the transmission output shaft to the transfer case. On the left is the LJ/KZJ and on the right is the HZJ:
IMG_1623.jpg

Here's a comparison of the different output shaft bearings: the larger one is the LJ/KZJ and the smaller one is the HZJ:
IMG_1451.jpg

The R-series case has the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing across all models, so any bellhousing will bolt to any transmission. The only engine-specific part of the transmission would be the input shaft; there were several versions for different engines, but they're interchangeable too. The main thing to be aware of is that pretty much all of the internal components changed in 1996, most notably the output shaft bearing. That necessitates a different transfer adapter with the proper journal size, and the updated transfer adapter (for the LC split case) is longer and has a different transmission mount.

Long story short, a 79-series R151f would work, but would require a new transmission crossmember, extended transfer shift linkage, and modified driveshafts. A 22RTE R151f would bolt straight in with your transfer adapter and transfer case.

Are you sure you have the R151f and not the R150f? My LJ78 came with an R150f. If you have the R150f your options are much better as it was found behind all the 3.0 V6 Toyotas. The only difference between the 151 and 150 is that 1st and 2nd gear are lower ratios in the 151.
Thanks for the details.
VIN specifically indicates R151F.

That is really good tech.

Thanks for the details.
VIN specifically indicates R151F.
Ah, I had forgotten the KZJ78 came with 4.30 diffs instead of the 4.88's in the LJ78. That would explain Toyota's choosing to put the lower 1st and 2nd in.

Just glad my year spent trying to mix and match 5 different configurations of R-series transmissions can be of help to someone else!

Been there, done that (NV4500’s). Never again :lol:

So for the simplest replacement, I would need a R151F from either a 22RTE or KZJ-TE engine. Searching for info on the 22RTE, I found that it was offered on the 1985-1988 Hilux and 1986-1987 4Runner. Any words of wisdom for a replacement transmission search?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom