R series R151 R150 with split case info needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotamotive

SILVER Star
Threads
I acquired the transmission/transfer case combo in the title. I think it came out of a 70 series. I'm not sure which version it is or much about it. Haven't been able to find much info. Pondering selling it. What are they worth? What 70 series engine did they come behind? Thanks!

I acquired the transmission/transfer case combo in the title. I think it came out of a 70 series. I'm not sure which version it is or much about it. Haven't been able to find much info. Pondering selling it. What are they worth? What 70 series engine did they come behind? Thanks!
Believe it's from an R22 engine

Last edited:
If it came out of a heavy duty 70, it was likely behind a 1HZ. Without any info on it, mileage, etc you could probably get $1500US for it with the transfer case if it is in good condition.

If it came out of a heavy duty 70, it was likely behind a 1HZ. Without any info on it, mileage, etc you could probably get $1500US for it with the transfer case if it is in good condition.
Thanks! I was under the impression that the 1HZ versions came with H series transmission and not R. That if a 70 series had an R series transmission it must have come with a KZ 4 cyl?

Thanks! I was under the impression that the 1HZ versions came with H series transmission and not R. That if a 70 series had an R series transmission it must have come with a KZ 4 cyl?
The newer HD 70's have the R151 behind the 1HZ (I have a 2002 HZJ76 with one).

Maybe get measurements of the bell housing, that might be the only way to tell for sure. Does the bell housing have a part/serial number on it anywhere?

The newer HD 70's have the R151 behind the 1HZ (I have a 2002 HZJ76 with one).

Maybe get measurements of the bell housing, that might be the only way to tell for sure. Does the bell housing have a part/serial number on it anywhere?
The space for the starter in the bellhousing is on the left side. Aren't HZ starters on the right?

R151f also came on the 1PZ with the dual mass flywheel.

The space for the starter in the bellhousing is on the left side. Aren't HZ starters on the right?
Is that the LH side of the vehicle, or the LH side facing the bell housing? The R151f came behind the 1KZ in the Prado 70-series, and behind the 1HZ in the HD 70-series (from 1999 on, I believe). The R150f came in the LJ7x Prado. An easy way to tell which version it is would be to measure the transfer adapter. The later 1HZ version is about 1" longer than the earlier version used in the LJ, KZJ and PZJ. If you're unsure whether you have a 150 or a 151 put it into first gear and count the revolutions of the input shaft required for one revolution of the output. The R150 is a 3.83:1 ratio and the R151 is a 4.315:1 ratio.

Here is the earlier, short version:
IMG_0413.jpeg

Here is the later version used on the HZJ models, note the extra length behind the shifter:
IMG_1923.jpeg

So meaning it wont bolt to a 4 cyl KZ?
Correct, it would need a 1KZ bell housing and a different input shaft. The 1HZ version had the 33301-35090 input shaft, which is also what came in the R150f in the 5VZ powered 4Runner, T100 and Tacoma. The 1KZ version had the 33301-35050 input shaft, same as the LJ7x and the 3VZ powered 4Runner, T100 and Pickup. The 33301-35050 is 1" shorter than the 33301-35090.

Correct, it would need a 1KZ bell housing and a different input shaft. The 1HZ version had the 33301-35090 input shaft, which is also what came in the R150f in the 5VZ powered 4Runner, T100 and Tacoma. The 1KZ version had the 33301-35050 input shaft, same as the LJ7x and the 3VZ powered 4Runner, T100 and Pickup. The 33301-35050 is 1" shorter than the 33301-35090.
Awesome info thank you! I'm surprised Toyota would couple at 6 cylinder diesel with an R series trans.

Last edited:
I just did the revolution measurement and it is the 4.315:1 version so I guess R151. Apparently this version doesn't have the big rubber plug in the bottom like a turbo truck version.

Last edited:
From Wiki. So I have one of those two? The split case is the same as any other split case? Thanks again.

1682518709699.png

I am running an r151/splitcase behind my 1HDT/G turbo in my HDJ74. It’s on a 300mm flywheel with 21 spline Isuzu clutch. It’s holding up just fine and shifts smoother than my h151. Will it hold up long term? Here’s to hoping.

I am running an r151/splitcase behind my 1HDT/G turbo in my HDJ74. It’s on a 300mm flywheel with 21 spline Isuzu clutch. It’s holding up just fine and shifts smoother than my h151. Will it hold up long term? Here’s to hoping.
I have mine behind my turbo'd 1HZ, 275mm flywheel. The only thing I had to do is after about a year, year and a half, I needed to put in a HD clutch as it was slipping. Once it started slipping in 3rd I put the HD clutch in. 1 month in, and the clutch is fully broken in (no more noise) and it is not slipping at all.

I think as long as I don't drive like a 1D10T, the transmission should last just fine. It seems quite happy, no vibrations or shudders and shifts really smoothly in every gear. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom