Quick speaker wire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed that all the stock speaker wiring is part of a larger loom, making it difficult to remove and replace.
When you guys run new speaker wire, do you just run it in parallel to the existing harness and leave the old wiring still in place? I'm currently looking at just the rear passenger side and how it comes across the bottom of the truck and behind the side panel. Seems that guy goes back into a bigger taped up loom and I don't really want to cut it up.

I ran all separate wire mainly because I was adding rear speakers as well. You must have a 62..

I do, yes. An 89.
I just pulled everything out of the rear to prep for QuietCrap tomorrow. Was going to replace the speaker wire for some new speakers as well. All mine are original and have finally given up the ghost.

I do, yes. An 89.
I just pulled everything out of the rear to prep for QuietCrap tomorrow. Was going to replace the speaker wire for some new speakers as well. All mine are original and have finally given up the ghost.

Unless you are running them with an amp you should be good to utilize the stock wire since it is already run, just cut off the plug and make a small jumper wire to give you some extra length from the harness to your new deck. For me, FJ60, I did not have rears so I ran wires down the door sills/bottom plates and then up in the rear.

Unless you are running them with an amp you should be good to utilize the stock wire since it is already run, just cut off the plug and make a small jumper wire to give you some extra length from the harness to your new deck. For me, FJ60, I did not have rears so I ran wires down the door sills/bottom plates and then up in the rear.

Really? I've always heard the stock wiring just wasn't sufficient for what I'm going to run. I went with these for the rear. Front is going to be a challenge. Amazon.com: JL Audio C2-650X Evolution™ Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers: Cell Phones & Accessories

Really? I've always heard the stock wiring just wasn't sufficient for what I'm going to run. I went with these for the rear. Front is going to be a challenge. Amazon.com: JL Audio C2-650X Evolution™ Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers: Cell Phones & Accessories
Really depends on how much you crank it... Since it is 30+yr old wire always good to replace but not an absolute necessity. My PO had his wired into the stock and it ran just fine, I beefed things up a bit because I wanted too.

Doors should be able to fit 5 1/4" rounds pretty easily. Only difference will be 3 mounting points vs. newer 4 mounting points. I did 6 1/2"s on the doors and then 6x9s in the rear. But I also did my own rear panel cards and added the 6x9s.

Really depends on how much you crank it... Since it is 30+yr old wire always good to replace but not an absolute necessity. My PO had his wired into the stock and it ran just fine, I beefed things up a bit because I wanted too.

Doors should be able to fit 5 1/4" rounds pretty easily. Only difference will be 3 mounting points vs. newer 4 mounting points. I did 6 1/2"s on the doors and then 6x9s in the rear.

It's the depth I'm worried about on the fronts. Anything longer than stock with stock mounting/grill will hit the windows when they roll down. I'll probably go with the JL audio mounting and grill to get it out more.

I think I'd like to "future proof" my system by running new wires. I may want to put in an amp eventually. I put in an order for some WagonGear panels for the rear, so that should store an amp pretty nicely.

Pretty sure that RF makes some shallow mount 5 1/4" speakers. Just search for Shallow Mount speakers and you should find what you need. I added a 1/4" mount ring on the inside of the doorcards and that was more than enough room for my RFs.

Pretty sure that RF makes some shallow mount 5 1/4" speakers. Just search for Shallow Mount speakers and you should find what you need. I added a 1/4" mount ring on the inside of the doorcards and that was more than enough room for my RFs.

I'm being stubborn and trying to get the best sound I can. If this doesn't work out, I'll probably take your route with shallow mounts.

I went through this about a year ago. I wanted to stay stock size so I could keep factory grills. It was very difficult to find a good pair of speakers that are shallow. I wnded up finding ones after I had my setup installed.
I ended going to a stereo shop. The guys is a huge vintage toyota guy. The shallowest that fit was alpine spr. Amazon.com: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System (Pair): Cell Phones & Accessories
I did not use the original covers. They are ugly. Mine were covered with focal grills. New wires, jl amp and it sounds nice and tight for an old 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom