Question for the OBA gurus... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a york compressor, and have a ten gallon auxiliary tank. I was wondering if this tank is too large more so clearance wise. it has around a 12 inch diameter and will be mounted to the frame behind the rear axle. the spare has been moved. will this be an issue with clearance? I have a stock bumper right now, but I am planning on fabbing up on that replaces the rear crossmember to give me a better departure angle. I just don't want a tank that is going to get destroyed because of it get hit on a rock.

You would be the first I have heard of anyone installing a ten gallon tank. Everyone goes with a 2.5 up to a 5 gallon and THAT suffices for everything especially since, as long as the truck is running, you will have infinite air to the tank. Curious as to why you want a ten gallon?

BTW, in answer to your question, if you can fit it and you want it, go for it. I have been going back and forth on where to put my tank because of the rear bumper I eventually want and the aux. tank I am researching.

I've got a 2.5 gal tank that work fine - although I don't run air tools off of it. Since you have the ten gallon on hand, put it in there and see if it gets hit. You can always replace it with a smaller one if needed.

Seriously its only 12" in diameter and even with another 2" for the feet (depending on how you mount it) you should be totally fine. Heck you're still well above where the spare tire would be sitting.

I have a 7gal between the frame rails in the spare location. It does not hit but I am on 35" tyres with a 4" Slee lift. There is a good bit of room under there so I think you will be OK with a 10gal.

Pics would help us though. We're kinda shooting in the dark since we don't know what it looks like.
-B-

Here's a pic of where my tank sits-

n539070227_3834441_4766.jpg

It's a Craftsman 5 gallon. I had to flip the spare tire carrier upside down to fit it. Even without the ratcheting strap, it's a tight fit.

There is plenty of clearance; though I also have that horrible hitch receiver :flipoff2:

here is a link to the actual tank I have.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I was planning on having a welding shop add two fittings on to the sides and use the existing fitting for a drain valve. I tried to fit it on the spare tire carrier, but because of its length I cannot get it to fit. I would have to space it down to where it was about two inches below the frame rails. How should I mount it? I want it to be secure, and a tie down strap scares me. How did you mount the 7-gallon tank? Do you have any pics?

I want to be able to run air tools off it so it needs to be at least three gallons. I might be bagging this tank and finding the air brake tank off a truck.

Most of us run smaller tanks simply because we use the system for airing up after a run. At least that's my primary use. My 2.5 gallon tank works well for my impact gun when changing tires and such, but really runs out of steam quickly with an air grinder.

If you really want a mobile shop then go with the biggest tank you can and find a way to make it work. There is a lot of room back there once you remove the spare tire elevator assembly. At one point I was going to have a custom tank made that bolts right to the frame in that location. It was a beautiful design, but the funds were squandered on silly things like tires.

At one point I was going to have a custom tank made that bolts right to the frame in that location.

Jon,
I picked up a new 7-gal tank from a tractor-trailer dealer for about $40 about 5 years ago. It is a standard air tank for trailer air brakes and has horizontal brackets as part of the tank. Fitment required 2 relatively simple custom "L-brackets" that bolted to the frame holes for the spare tyre carrier. The tank tucks up nicely and was about the cheapest and easiest part of the whole system.
-B-

Do you have any pictures of that?

Somewhere....

Not being evasive but it is a long story that ends with a free web hosting service deciding to shut down without notice and a stupid IT guy that should know better, not having a backup.

I'll try to find some pics this weekend.
-B-

Jon,
I picked up a new 7-gal tank from a tractor-trailer dealer for about $40 about 5 years ago. It is a standard air tank for trailer air brakes and has horizontal brackets as part of the tank. Fitment required 2 relatively simple custom "L-brackets" that bolted to the frame holes for the spare tyre carrier. The tank tucks up nicely and was about the cheapest and easiest part of the whole system.
-B-

Nice. Snap some pics when you get a chance. Any more info on the tank itself?

Any more info on the tank itself?

Generic black air tank, unbranded as I remember. Bottom drain bung, supply bung on one end, outlet bung on the other end. Bungs were standard sizes that had fittings available where I got the tank (tractor-trailer supply). There may be a 4th bung on top that I didn't use but I cannot recall. The tank is DOT certified for brake use and I think it was rated at 200psi. My switch is set for 120/90.

-B-

Hey Beowulf, I was at a truck shop today and they had bigger tanks with funky brackets on the end. I'm not sure how I would mount them. Could you grab a few pics of your tank and how you mounted it if you have a spare minute? (C'mon, I even spelled your name right :D)

Hey Beowulf, I was at a truck shop today and they had bigger tanks with funky brackets on the end. I'm not sure how I would mount them. Could you grab a few pics of your tank and how you mounted it if you have a spare minute? (C'mon, I even spelled your name right :D)

Per request.

As I recall, the tank is about 7 gal and is a standard trailer tank that cost about $40 new but that was about 6 years ago. It has 4 bungs. I use 1 for filling with a check valve. 1 has a safety valve at 150psi. The bottom is a drain and the 4th is for the air line supply to the manifold under the bonnet. The manifold has a pressure gauge, a schraeder valve, a feed to the quick connect on the front bumper, and a supply in.

-B-
Tank1.jpg
Tank2.jpg
ExtremeAir1.jpg

Last edited:
Brackets before painting.

-B-
Brackets1.jpg
Brackets2.jpg
Brackets3.jpg

Thank you sir, most kind! I believe I was looking at that exact tank today at the shop. I may go this route instead of a 2.5 gallon mounted on the sliders under the driver's seat. Decisions, decisions... :hmm:

One would think that the bigger tank would be a lot better than say a 3 gal tank but I don't think that is true. My 7gal (if that is the actual size) filled to 120psi will barely fill half of a 35" tyre before the 120/80 switch kicks in and starts filling the tank again. Filling a tyre drains the tank faster than the compressor can fill it so you are on an uphill battle and the compressor can never catch up until all 4 tyres are full.

-B-

I see it's 3/8 OD tubing (so 1/4" ID?). Do you think the tubing might be limiting the volume of air the compressor can put out? I'm going to be using a York and I'm trying to determine what minimum ID tubing I want to use. I'm thinking of 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) from the same truck shop to try and keep the CFMs up. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom