Question about tires (NOT SIZE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
I take my Land cruiser out and play off-road from time to time but right now most of the time it's used for hauling the kids around and road trips where we want to be comfortable and have room.

So keeping that in mind I'm looking for a tire that is all terrain or rugged terrain with the most aggressive sidewall tread or sidebitters as some people call them. I'm currently running 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires and they do pretty good but I'm getting down to about 40% remaining tread life so it's time to start looking for what I'm going to get next.

Again this is not a dedicated off-road rig so I'm looking for something with really good road manners but can do the job off-road. Definitely looking for something with highly aggressive sidewall tread.
received_183792886952997.jpeg

received_2938446419751605.jpeg

I vote the KO2s or Nittos above.

I recently replaced my KOs with KO2s and wouldn’t hesitate again.

That being said I would also look up TireRack dot com and enter your vehicle and just see what thousands of people have reported as a “quieter” A/T tire. The results might surprise you.

I know there is a Falken (Discount Tire) brand IIRC, made by Cooper? All Terrain tire that the folks in Tacoma World love bunches.

I vote the KO2s or Nittos above.

I recently replaced my KOs with KO2s and wouldn’t hesitate again.

That being said I would also look up TireRack dot com and enter your vehicle and just see what thousands of people have reported as a “quieter” A/T tire. The results might surprise you.

I know there is a Falken (Discount Tire) brand IIRC, made by Cooper? All Terrain tire that the folks in Tacoma World love bunches.

That would be the Falken Wildpeak AT3w. People seem to pretty universally be happy with them.

JMO, but if you want a good performing AT tire with an aggressive sidewall then it's hard to beat the BFG KO2. Some will say there are better perform out there now and they may well be right, but it's a darn good looking tire. My personal experience with the KO2 is that it great in everything but mud.

Last edited:
That would be the Falken Wildpeak AT3w. People seem to pretty universally be happy with them.

JMO, but if you want a good performing AT tire with an aggressive sidewalk then it's hard to beat the BFG KO2. Some will say there are better perform out there now and they may well be right, but it's a darn good looking tire. My personal experience with the KO2 is that it great in everything but mud.
Another vote for the Falken's. Know that lots of people love the KO2s but over the years I have just seen way to many issues with them to make me trust them. They are supposed to be great in all conditions, but that is IF you get a good set (if you don't have balancing issues, or bubbles, or treadwear issues, or any of the others people talk about on here or other forums).

Other option is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 series (XL, XLT, 4s) depending on your needs. They are great tires and I would have thrown Coopers on my 100 if it had not come with practically brand new Falkens.

I have run KO2s in all kinds of situations and they were great in everything except mud and ice/ really cold weather. Also, right around 40k miles they became loud!

Just slapped Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX’s on the 80, wow great tire so far. Super quiet and smooth, from the reviews in the 80 section they should go anywhere. I have KO2’s on the 100 and they are fine but if I could have a do over they would be Coopers.

I have run KO2s in all kinds of situations and they were great in everything except mud and ice/ really cold weather. Also, right around 40k miles they became loud!

My LC came with relatively new KO2's from its previous owner. That said, I've been slight surprised by how loud they are when compared to the MT tires on my previous rig. I think when I wear them out I'm going back to an MT tire. In my area mud is unavoidable off road. It rains a lot and in the winter it rains even more. Dry, dusty and rocky trails are rare. Ruts and mud are common. Seems like the newer generation of MT tires perform well on the highway and offer limited road noise. (within reason and compared to previous designs) For me, I think the slight penalty in added noise is worth it for the type of wheeling I do. I'm seriously looking a the Yokohama Geolander MT, Toyo Open Country MT or BFG KM3.

I'm also considering a hybrid type like the above Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Love my KO2s, have 20K on mine, plenty of life left. We frequently do trails and forest roads, did some rough stuff in Death Valley. Amazed at some of the sharp stuff we have hit at speed and survived. Tough tires, and nice on road manners. I’ll get another set when it is time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom