Question about finding brake hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have some questions about my brakes. I have a 1970 FJ55, with 9mm break lines. If I were too replace all of the lines including the hoses and hard lines how would I do that? I can find break line kits but only for fj40. Would I have to bend and make my own brake lines? It looks like it could be difficult to find the right size tubing and fittings to do so. As for the brake hoses I cant seem to find any for the 1970 FJ55. I know this a lot of questions, but i feel a little lost. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm just about done, hopefully this weekend, with this process for the same year pig. This was the quickest way for me to redo the brakes but my preference would have been converting the front from drums to disc. They don't make cylinder rebuild kits for that year so I bought what's shown below.

Dual circuit master cylinder - I bought one, along with an adapter, from Mark's Offroad. If you have the original master cylinder it's single circuit which is no bueno.
Brake line tubing, I ended up buying two - Amazon.com: 25 Ft. Roll / Coil of 3/16" (.028" Wall) Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing: Automotive
Eastwood flaring tool (sign up for their email list and get $20 off) - Professional Brake Line Flaring Tool Kit - Eastwood
Eastwood line forming tool - Eastwood Brake Line Forming Tool Pliers - Brake Line Bender - Brake Tubing Forming Pliers
New wheel cylinders and shoes through Cruiser Outfitters, part numbers for the cylinders:
BWCF69035R 9/71'-9/75' FJ40/55 RH - $42.00/each - 2
BWCF69025L 9/71'-9/75' FJ40/55 LH - $42.00/each - 2
BWCR69085RU 9/71'-7/80' FJ55 RH - $42/each
BWCR69075LU 9/71'-7/80' FJ55 LH - $42/each
BWCR69065RB
9/71'-7/80' FJ55 RH - $42/each
BWCR69065LB
9/71'-7/80' FJ55 LH - $42/each
10mm brake line fittings - I would see if Rainman will sell you a bunch of fittings, rainmansbrakelines and he might be able to provide some of the lines but they'll likely all be custom.
Brake hoses - I bought a couple (already had one) steel braided hoses through SOR
10mm elbow fittings - I happened to already have a couple of these from a parts rig but they are needed when switching to dual circuit

Might have missed some stuff but that's most of what I needed. It's a major project, and a bit spendy, but once you get the hang of bending the lines and using the flaring tool it's not too bad.

I have all the patterns for the FJ40s. I have "some" lines for the FJ55s but not all. @myduffy , if you have the lines from your truck in the right shape (not all twisted and bent up trying to remove them) I can recreate all your hard lines. I don't make or have the flex hoses. I can't get right on a kit for you but PM me if you'd like to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom