Q78 SUPER SWAMPER's ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 78s I had were "balanced" but that was like 2 pounds on both sides of the rims. (they were on FJ 60 series rims) My opinion, anything over a 33 forget about real balancing.

The MTRs I have are pretty nice, They are a new set. pretty quiet at 50mph. Again I did not bother to balance them. The 78s were easy to turn with my manual steering. The MTRs are a bit harder. The 78s did rub at full turn to the left and Right IIRC.

MTRS I have had no problems turning and rubbing.

The Backspacing on the rims needs to be 3.5 inches. period.

I have no balance issuses at all. I am running 8oz. (I think) of equal in each tire. Great stuff and works well. The only downside is it takes forever to airdown because of the special valve stems.

If I run less than a 3.5 backspacing,Won't it clear the springs better? I thought 2.5 was a good thing?

With my stock wheels, if it rubbed the springs it was very very minor. I know have some 1.5" Spacers. I would run them with 2.5" BS wheels. I'm not sure how well an 8" wide wheel will keep a bead with the Q78's. Mine did not need very much weight to balance.

Stock wheels are 3.50 inch backed spaced, so with an 1.5 spacer, acts like an 2 inch back spaced wheel. Will q78's and stock fj wheels hit much without spacers?

I know the backspacing issue has been beat to death.

IIRC kicking the tires out more adds more stress on the knuckles and the other front end components.

Someone more smarter will have a more better answer.

Stock wheels are 3.50 inch backed spaced, so with an 1.5 spacer, acts like an 2 inch back spaced wheel. Will q78's and stock fj wheels hit much without spacers?

Depends on the rest of the setup. If you have stock steering (manual or power) or minitruck P/S where the rod runs down the outside of the driver frame rail the tires will rub and hook that at full lock right or left. I used to rub the springs at lock also. Sometimes the lugs would get into the front fender edges and yank the lip out some. None of this is a showstopper; you just have to pay attention to what's going on.

I sold my set of Q's to zetasig. I thought they ran fine on the highway. I had no issue running from central NJ to Paragon at better than 70 mph on I-80. They are kinda heavy so the brakes started to feel weak because of the rotating mass. I did not like them on the trail for the reason bigredFJ40 shows: they didn't seem as stable on side hills as other, wider tires I had run before. Too much sidewall for the width IMHO. I know they work very well for some folks; I didn't like how they worked for me so I sold them on.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom