Pushrods not seating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any idea what the deal is here? Put new head on and replaced HG. Two push rods not seating. Do I have to open the side panel to adjust something?

A7F43B2B-E1B9-43D3-BE80-F96EA4EB3447.jpeg

Your lifters might be stuck in the up/high position. Definitely pull the side cover, you’ll see if there’s an issue. (I’m assuming those are the correct push rods and not longer ones from some other motor).

Yes, the pushrods belong to this engine. If I discover the lifters stuck in the up position is repositioning fairly easy?

Those look really high to be a lifter issue: they are sticking up higher than the lifter travels it looks like. Were the lifters pulled when the head was changed? Can you see down in the pushrod hole to see if anything is amiss? If not, I’d be pulling that side cover.

Those look really high to be a lifter issue: they are sticking up higher than the lifter travels it looks like. Were the lifters pulled when the head was changed? Can you see down in the pushrod hole to see if anything is amiss? If not, I’d be pulling that side cover.
Tried to look down there but couldn’t see any obstruction. Don’t remember it being an issue pulling them out. Lifters we’re pulled.

You guys were right. Pulled the side cover and discovered two of the cam followers out of place. I got them back into place but they’re still slightly raised. Guessing it’s because the position of the cam?

F6892572-3769-49DB-96FD-65D7AA04FBAD.jpeg

81BBE67C-9B7E-48DA-BAAF-BA5D6E117F44.jpeg

9AE60E74-004D-4512-A051-47BE479829A8.jpeg

So my next question is this. The two lifters are slightly raised. When i put the rocker assembly back on it seems to be raised up slightly (i.e. the two rocker towers that are adjacent to the raised lifters don't quite make contact with where they seat on the head). Are they pulled down when I tighten the rocker bolts? Asking because I don't want to mess it up.

So my next question is this. The two lifters are slightly raised. When i put the rocker assembly back on it seems to be raised up slightly (i.e. the two rocker towers that are adjacent to the raised lifters don't quite make contact with where they seat on the head). Are they pulled down when I tighten the rocker bolts? Asking because I don't want to mess it up.
904B3E4C-1DFB-437B-9565-D711605E2A8E.jpeg

2C6D25CB-2935-4F75-B4EE-BAA223EB8C96.jpeg

Yes those will seat when you tighten the rocker assembly. If you’re concerned about it you can loosen the rocker adjusters all the way and tighten the shaft bolts.

Yes those will seat when you tighten the rocker assembly. If you’re concerned about it you can loosen the rocker adjusters all the way and tighten the shaft bolts.
Thanks. Just got the rocker assembly back on.

Couple of my lifters were mushroomed where it rides on the cam. Had to pull them thru the bottom and sent them to delta cam for grind. Hard to see in pic, bottom edge(s). They do great work btw. If yours lifted, moved smoothly, disregard.

IMG_20210812_114325.jpg

Couple of my lifters were mushroomed where it rides on the cam. Had to pull them thru the bottom and sent them to delta cam for grind. Hard to see in pic, bottom edge(s). They do great work btw. If yours lifted, moved smoothly, disregard.

I was wondering how the lifters came out of the bore. 🤷🏼‍♂️
If you’re referring to the 1st & 2nd pics in post #8, I was wondering that also. The only two possibilities I can think of are, when pushrods were removed, some were stuck to lifters and pulled the lifter out. Or the engine was cranked with rocker assembly & push rods removed and the cam knocked some out. But either way would require some rather loose lifters. I only removed my lifters once with a magnet and they didn't come out easily. They took a lot of penetrating oil and continuous rapid up and down motion with the magnet to get them out without breaking the grab force of the magnet. I figured the resistance was the sludge buildup on the bottom part of the lifter where it is below the bottom of the bore. I also sent cam & lifters to Delta Cams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom