PTO winch ? FJ55 compatibility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
I didn't search!

are the winch heads the same for a 40/45 and 55 series? I know all about the driveshaft diffences. I'm just asking about the part in front of the grill.

yes. .

I have a 40 winch on my FJ55, and they are the same although there might be different front mounting holes in the winch front frame. Mine didnt line up with the holes in the bumper?

dont forget you need the bumper extensions...

The hole locations for frame mounting are different, at least for my '55 and '45LV. The basic winch is the same.

I bought a PTO winch complete from a junk yard. It came off a 77 FJ55. I didn't notice any mounting difference, but I never tried to install it. I did notice the shaft with thr pillow block bearing is a lot longer than that of a FJ40. I'm going to have to shorten it to make it work on a FJ40. Is this right for a FJ55?

John

I bought a PTO winch complete from a junk yard. It came off a 77 FJ55. I didn't notice any mounting difference, but I never tried to install it. I did notice the shaft with thr pillow block bearing is a lot longer than that of a FJ40. I'm going to have to shorten it to make it work on a FJ40. Is this right for a FJ55?

John

The bearing on the 55 mounts to the frame rail, by the front mount of the engine, and angle into the winch head. pics below of a 3speed 55 driveshaft
the 40 goes straight into the winch head, and has the bearing piece mounted under the rad.

I just picked up another 55 rig with a winch and was wondering if the other 55 one I have on the floor of the shop would work on a 45 or 40.. thus the ?
D-1.jpg
D-2.jpg
D-3.jpg

Thank's for the pictures. I know about the 40s and know you need extra brackets for the front of the frame rails just didn't know how the pillow block bearing mounted. Now it makes scents. Just at $200 for the complete winch for everything including the transmission hump lock I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure the 55 been crushed by now or i would go back and get the bracket off the frame.:cheers:

John

The winch itself is the same unit. The factory front bracket, short dive shaft (front) are the only differences. I don't think you use the rear mounting spacers (wedges) on a 55.

No the wedges are not used on the '55.

confoozed

Steve; :confused:have a 78 fj 55 with an 87 2F and split case; am badly in need of a front winch pto to help with all the heavy moving am doing; am confoozed with all the info; can you give us an idea of what is needed for the fj55 split and solid case to set it up?....; all I have run across are fj40 ptos and a couple for fj 60s..have not seen any for an fj55 :frown: TIA

Lou

That is because it is not common to see a factory PTO winch set up on a 55, and they have a few very specific 55-only piece that are required in order to make them work.

The very first issue is mounting the winch head to the front of the vehicle. There are frame extensions that Toyota used to move the front bumper forward, to permit the space needed to fit the winch.

The next hitch will be the PTO shaft and pillow block assembly that is again, a 55 only component, as the front frame section under the radiator core support is not the same as a 40 series.

You then will need the shaft from the PTO box to the sub-shaft assembly just described.

The PTO gearbox for the one-piece case is not compatible with the split case, so if you are using a split case, you will need that PTO box.

First two pictures are of the frame extension on a factory 55 front bumper. This was removed from a 09/76 55 that I own.
55FRONTBUMPER01.jpg
55FRONTBUMPER02.jpg

Two pictures of a stock 55 front bumper and bumper supports. You can clearly see the difference in the front bumper supports compared to the ones that were used on the 55 that came from the factory with the winch assembly.

:beer:
55FRONTBUMPER03.jpg
55FRONTBUMPER04.jpg

Steve; :confused:have a 78 fj 55 with an 87 2F and split case; am badly in need of a front winch pto to help with all the heavy moving am doing; am confoozed with all the info; can you give us an idea of what is needed for the fj55 split and solid case to set it up?....; all I have run across are fj40 ptos and a couple for fj 60s..have not seen any for an fj55 :frown: TIA

Lou

Lou, have an extra FJ55 shaft only (no joints at either end, just the pillow block in the center) with a support that I fabbed before I found the correct one. I think there might be a picture in my POTM thread somewhere. If you want I can send that your way for a few $$ or better still if you have a '40 series shaft (for my FJ45LV) we can trade. The shaft length will need to be modified as it is for a 3 speed so you'll need to lengthen it a few inches. The frame extensions and split case gearbox are your other hurdles to overcome.

Let me know if you are interested.

Charles

Charles am very interested ......
Steve; :hmm:trying to grasp all that I will need to adapt it to my 78 with the 2F motor and split case:hmm: guess I will need a later pto gearbox as mine is an 87 2F and split case........do you know if the pto gearbox is compatible with all fj 60 series gearboxes or does it break on the later fj60 gearboxes..? May 85?.....is there any way to identify what gearbox goes with what pto gearbox? TIA;

Lou

Last edited:
Lou, the issues with the gearbox for the split case is the bolt pattern on the split case itself as far as I know. Also, not all split case transfers have the PTO gear so you'll want to check that. If you have it it will be easy to tell as it's a straight cut gear at the PTO cover plate. If all you can find is the PTO housing for the split case I have a gearset from, what I am told is, a split case PTO box.

Are you running headers or anything else that may interfere with the PTO shaft running up the side of the engine?

this is what am looking at; the owner has no idea what it came off of.....anyone here have an idea if it will fit a split or solid case?; TIA

Lou
P4020039 pto2.jpg
P4020042 pto 2.jpg
P4020043 pto 2.jpg

Provided all of the components shown here were removed from the same vehicle, I would say that this came from a one-piece transfer case, being that there is a 10 spline, transfer case input gear shown with the shift linkage.

This would not be compatible with a Land Cruiser split transfer case.

attachment.php

:meh:

Lou, look at the mounting pattern where it mounts on the transfer case. The split case holes are all evenly spaced, ie: the holes on the sides are across from each other, on the single peice case the mounting holes are not across from each other.

Take a look at this picture of a split case transfer PTO cover and see if the bolt pattern matches.
attachment.php

Now this is a picture of a single peice transfer case PTO cover and you can see the bolt pattern is not straight across from each other. Look especially at the two bolts lower on the cover.
attachment.php

Last edited:
differences split and single piece PTOs

Steve; Charles...thanks for the info on the split and single piece case ptos; in my neck of the woods don't have access to either and have to rely on pix and y'alls help; easiest would be to go electric BUT there has been an upsurge of winch stealing in this area and :hmm:believe it would be a lot safer to have a LC specific winch/pto that an easily removable and sellable electric :frown:

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom