PS pump back cover removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering pump is leaking out of the back cover. I bought a new o-ring for it but I can't get the snap ring out. I would take the pump out to do it, but the high pressure line won't budge so I'd rather do it in the car. Is there a trick to get that snap ring out so I can replace that o-ring? I have the oil filter out, but I still can see in there very well to know what I am doing.

Never seen it done on the motor. There are 2 nuts on the hi pressure fittings. Put an open end 24mm on the lower to steady it and then use a long long extension to get a 19mm on top. It torques to 40+, so get mad at it. It will let go.

I think my top nut is 24mm and I don't see a bottom one. I got it loose, but it won't let go of the formed end of the line so it just spins it into the frame rail.

I went thru this a couple years ago and i didnt want to remove the pump also from the
Truck i was able to remove the metal c clip with these
4PCS-Set-Hand-Tools-Car-Puller-Craft-Useful-O-Ring-Pick-And-Hook-Tool-Remover.jpeg_640x640.jpeg

And to put that c clip back on i used this
Place the c clip in as much as you can with the other side wedged in the pump
Use the tool adjustable side on the opposite side of the clip and compress
Once compressed push into place. Easy peasy no more leaks!
71QYS53sY7L._SX425_.jpg

Slightly compressing, pushing the cover in, helps. When the clip is off, we always put a flat on each end, making it easier for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom