PS Fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the PS pump is starting to make noise on the family 80 series. Probably time I looked into the source of the leak that's creating the spots I see.

I wonder what is the recommended replacement fluid for an 80 and how much do I need? I'm guessing the fluid is very old and I will do a full flush while I'm in there.

Required is standard ATF Dexron II/III. Cheap auto parts store brand, supertech etc works completely fine. Some use synthetic ATFs like Mobil 1 or hydraulic fluid. Do not use standard power steering fluid.

If you are going to go through the hassle of the pump, personally I would look at your high pressure line & return lines and see what kind of condition they are in. I have seen a lot of reservoirs leak as well.

What kind of noise is it making? Standard power steering whine?

Two common leaks are 1) from a small O-ring located on the side of the pump
where the larger hose coming down from the reservoir attaches, and 2) from
the high pressure hose banjo bolt union to the PS pump. If that hose was ever
disconnected the dual crush washer at that location must be replaced, if the old washer is reused it will leak.

One route; wash that area off well, then watch it very closely, after just a few minutes of the engine running. You can likely find the leak by taking
some photos of the suspected area then magnify those to spot the leak. FWIW.

I'd agree with @Kernal I'd clean the area well and monitor closely. The pump leaks internally and the rebuild is easy. Hoses can also be a source of course.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll clean up around the area and find out for sure where the leak is coming from so I make sure to fix it.

Instead of using ATF you should consider Mobil DTE 24 or a similar ISO 32 hydraulic oil. After reading a gazillion threads here i was convinced this was the way to go. Full flush to get rid of whatever was in there before and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom