Prospective new owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own an FJ40 basketcase and a '99 100-series garage queen. I'm considering getting a GX470 for the wife and teens to drive. I don't expect to build it out with anything more than some decent mud/snow rated tires. The Hundy is the off-roader. We are building a house and moving into the mountains east of Albuquerque next year. My land is at 7,000 ft. and I will have a 300' long dirt driveway followed by another 1,000 ft of gravel before hitting pavement. I want them to have an AWD vehicle for the mud and snow in the winter. Plus, I don't want them driving my 100 any more. The logical choice would be some kind of AWD wagon or cute ute but my wife doesn't want that.

I've been reading through the FAQs and noticed the recommendation to buy a non-nav vehicle and then upgrade the radio to something modern that I can use Apple or Android car play. My wife really wants a backup camera, which I know is part of the factory nav units. Who has upgraded their head unit on a non-nav vehicle and integrated a backup camera into it? How well does it work? The non-nav vehicles seems to be less expensive from what I'm finding on Craigslist.

- Marc

Was simple. Plug and play.

Get an 07 or later they have an aux in line, just plug in the phone and everything will be fine.

Hey Marc. I will be down in ABQ soon. I will ping you so we can meet up and you/wife can drive my GX470. Say hello to the High Desert Cruiser group for me.

I have the non-nav and have yet to convert the stereo and integrate a backup camera. As you have read, has done many times over. Also Bruce (Coop some or another on MUD) in Pagosa Springs has done the stereo conversion. If you are up that way soon look him up.

Hey Marc. I will be down in ABQ soon. I will ping you so we can meet up and you/wife can drive my GX470. Say hello to the High Desert Cruiser group for me.

I have the non-nav and have yet to convert the stereo and integrate a backup camera. As you have read, has done many times over. Also Bruce (Coop some or another on MUD) in Pagosa Springs has done the stereo conversion. If you are up that way soon look him up.

I'm not opposed to saying hi when you're in town but I don't want my wife to see your GX because i just bought an '05 4Runner for her and the kids to run around in. I don't need her getting envious and wanting me to find her a GX.

My $0.02.

I think the non-Nav issue is because there is anxiety over the unit going out an losing control of audio and HVAC. The other issue is the Mark Levinson stereo has oddball speaker sizes, so limited replacements for audiophiles. All that being said, you have to weigh what sound quality means to you and if the units actually go bad (I'm not aware of a wide-spread issue). Personally, I'd go for a truck that is in good condition with maintenance records and at a good price.

I have the GTA Car Kit Pure Bluetooth for hands-free phone and audio streaming. It works well, but can be a bit quirky at times. IMO, all car Bluetooth systems are quirky at times, so for ~$110 and easy installation, it works for me.

Lastly, for me, back-up camera is a must with kids around the house and it's nice for trailer hookup. The factory camera is adequate, but I bet there are better aftermarket options.

Again, I'd find the best mechanically sound vehicle in your price range and not worry about the specific features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom