Project Turn-Key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chad, I can see what looks like a Warn logo on that front bumper. Is it just a sticker or is it a Warn fabbed piece? Don't see a spare - do you run one or what's your plans with it? I know exactly what you mean with the tool box and being used to the 80's storage. Looks like you're getting there, though! :cheers:

......... As far as a spare, I don't carry one. I carry a tire repair kit (plugs and patches), air, ratchet straps and zip ties... Probably not the smartest but it's worked for me in the past!
I'm tempted to do the same, except when I think of the following example. We were playing in the rocks on the last Edison run. Jager was backing up with his 4runner to get a different line and caught a log with his sidewall and poof. The tire, as you can see, was not in the greatest shape.
Luckily, he had a spare. You can see the log near his PS rear tire.
IMG_0190A.JPG
IMG_0189A.jpg

Yeah, I have had that happen to me as well. (That's why I stopped running BFG tires!) I have also started running Bias ply tires because they are stronger.

In a pinch, we have fixed a sidewall slice like that using zip ties, a tire patch and a lot of patch glue. Not the best, but it held for the rest of the wheeling trip!

*knock on wood* since I have started running bias tires, I have yet to have a tire failure. I am well set up to patch a tire if needed. My trailer runs a 6 on 5.5, so I can use that spare if I'm desperate and I am usually running with another Toyota if I need to borrow a spare.

That being said, I would always recommend running a spare tire and if I was doing something like expedition style wheeling, I would make room for one.

Sent from my DROID2 using IH8MUD

........ I am well set up to patch a tire if needed. My trailer runs a 6 on 5.5, so I can use that spare if I'm desperate and I am usually running with another Toyota if I need to borrow a spare............

X2...I love to wheel alone, but there's definitely advantages going with a buddy or group with like rigs.

Any progress on your in cab radio or decisions on which synthetic winch line to run?

I enjoy wheeling alone as well, but that is not what this truck is for. My Dodge is getting set up for exploration.

I think I'll have to compromise on the 2m and mount it to the back of the cab. It's annoying to keep an eye on the channels but it's out of the way. It will get installed as soon as I get an extra set of hands to help me.

As far as the synthetic line, I have done a bunch of research and think that amsteelblue.com has the best bang for the buck. I will be running 100' of 5/16 as soon as I can afford it.

.......As far as the synthetic line, I have done a bunch of research and think that amsteelblue.com has the best bang for the buck. I will be running 100' of 5/16 as soon as I can afford it.

Good choice! I've heard and read good things about amsteelblue line. You'll want to swap your Hawse fairlead to an aluminum one. The one that's on your rig looks to be steel and I believe they recommend aluminum 'cause its kinder to the synthetic line.

One of my favorite 80's bites the dust eh? Oh well, good luck w the mini, she looks great.

D

So I found out my back tires where just barely rubbing the LCAs in the rear. I added 1/4" spacers and all is good! Gotta love $10 fixes... Now I just need to flex out the front and make sure everything clears up there. It's amazing how much more room is needed going from a 12.50 to a 14.50 width tire.

My next "project" is getting a new regulator for my CO2 tank. The one that came with it was a welding (low flow) reg with a broken gauge. I want to go with a gaugeless, fixed regulator. So far the best price I have found is a PolyPerformance: Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY :: CO2 & Nitrogen Kits :: Poly Performance CO2 & Nitrogen Kits :: CO2 Fixed Regulator - 4X4 Off-Road Parts, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Ede

I still need to con someone into helping me mount the 2m as my arms aren't long enough but the rain has kept me from being too motivated. Once that is off the list I will move on to the lighting.

It's a little late but I have an update! I got the CO2 system together and so far, I'm really liking it. I also was able to go play in the snow on St. Patty's Day. I have to say that I am so impressed with how the truck wheeled. I am reminded on just how much weight effects wheeling! However, I did find a couple things that needs attention:

1) My CB is not transmitting. I think it is just the mic but I need to do some troubleshooting.
2) My front tires rub. I may need to pick up another set of 1/4" spacers...
3) One of my valve stems is leaking. I'm not too happy about this as I really don't want to break apart my beadlocks!

Anyway, this is the only pic of my truck from the trip. Sorry about the quality, it was taken from my buddies iPhone... LOL

3-17wheeling.jpg

Last edited:
i have always said the perfect combo is a mini and a 100. the 80 is a great truck but it just won't go everywhere a mini will and it doesn't come close to the comfort and power of the 100.

towingshare1.jpg
towingshare1.jpg

I must be boring you guys since the truck is just sitting... :flipoff2:

I found out that I have a slow leak out of one of my valve stems, so I will have to break the bead and tighten that up. (Not excited about that.) On a happier note, I get to do some volunteer work with Oregon Dept. of Forestry on Saturday. That means I get to lock into 4wd again! I will try to snap some pics for everybody.

Hey guys! Well not much has happened with the truck. Mostly sitting! I was able to get one of my emergency light heads installed and fine tuned the CB. I also started on the HAM radio install by mounting a through-the-roof NMO antenna mount.

Another project that I started was a bigger box. I had to relocate my Hi-Lift and CO2 tank but this will give me a lot more storeage.

ForumRunner_20120522_150726.jpg

ForumRunner_20120522_150726.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom