Project Beige Croc: A 1984 FJ45 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all, starting this thread to document progress of my recently acquired FJ45 Pickup.

Meet Project Beige Croc. A 1984 Aus spec FJ45RP-KQ truck that was imported to the US over 10 years ago. Story from the PO is his buddy was doing work in Australia and sent this home with him and has mostly been sitting since. PO started a restoration for his high school age son before the kid realized he would rather have Dad's 72 Camaro...

Truck is nicely optioned with power steering and disc brakes, larger radiator, and a funky blue seat pattern (that I love). Still baselining the drivetrain but reportedly the motor has been "refreshed" (runs pretty well). Upgrades include a header, carb mounted air cleaner (will look for a factory set up) and a DUI ignition system. Truck was apparently set up to run on propane at some point in it's life as there are leftover interior switches. 60 series wheels and 31/10.5 BFGs were also added along the way. As part of the started restoration, PO chopped 18" out of the bed behind the wheel wheel converting the truck to a short bed. Wouldn't be my first choice but given the condition of the rest and the price of the project, I'll learn to live with the shorter bed (it's been growing on me).

Will use the next few posts to get current on progress and will do my best to update frequently. Progress will probably be slow. Thanks for following along!

2.20.22: Drug the project home with my 200 series and quickly power washed off and vacuumed away years of dirt and grime...

IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

1E5AB32C-0E02-4191-A9AC-D3070A87C63E.jpg

IMG_2986.jpeg

Last edited:
Kid approved! We quickly chunked the giant side mirrors in the trash can in place of the factory ones that came with the project.

IMG_2953.jpeg

IMG_2974.jpeg

Swapped on a set of 40 series wheels, caps and 33/10.5 KO2s that recently came off my HJ61. They look right at home on the truck! Mounted the hood and bib and headache rack temporarily while we dive deeper into condition.

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg

With her stable mate

IMG_3763.jpeg

Interior cleaning uncovered a little more floorpan rust than I initially caught... No big deal. On the positive side I found $2.40 AUD and last registration paperwork from Australia. Address on the reg led me to a google street view spotting from 2009! Apparently it was owned by a parts store outside of Melbourne.

IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3975.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

Ok we're now up to date. Thankfully the cab under the windshield and back section is in great shape so the only major rust to deal with will be in the floor pans. I started stripping the black tar on the floors so they can be addressed (messy work). Once repaired, I think the floors will get a coat of lizard skin and then some sort of color matched bed liner after paint. Stock vinyl floor needs a deep cleaning but should be reusable. '

IMG_4012.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

Sweet FJ45, it is a family member now!
Good luck with the project and...
get busy posting pics! :cheers:

PS. Awesome story, by the way!

Last edited:
Welp, life has gotten in the way of this one and progress is quite minimal. Dropping some updates here in hope of motivation to keep going on this.

Parts!

IMG_5878.jpeg

Finished baselining mechanically and replaced most of the cooling system. Also added a new battery tray and brackets (slightly better than the zip ties holding it previously) as well as fuel level sender and DUI plug wires to match the distributor I now know it has. Now we can really move to cosmetics!

IMG_5292.jpeg

IMG_5973.jpeg

Test fitted front end parts to ensure I wasn't missing anything. Brand new bumper and hardware looking good!

IMG_6649.jpeg

hopefully you can make it up to Relic Run in Uwharrie! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom