Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PLEASE HELP! I own a 2002 LC. The screw came off my master key and lost the the black casing with the alarm buttons. All I have is the key blade. Called the dealer and told me how I had to get it towed there and all the other BS. Anyways I checked on E bay and they're about $90. My question is since the programming doesn't require to start it can I program it with the key blade because it still turns just wont start. PLEASE HELP!

A toyota dealer can cut you a valet key using the multipurpose hand held toyota tester, I've had two copies made that way. I bought a repo 98/100 and only got one valet key with it.

So as long as you have two good masters, your fine. Once you are down to one key, I would assume it would become a priority to get another master ASAP. I have two masters that are in good shape but the next chance I get I will pickup a velet key from the dealer.

I had to have the ECU replaced. The seller "thought" he had two masters, but didn't. Toyota paid for the ECU, but I had to pay the install of about $160(?).
They'll do this one time per a VIN so don't assume you can have it done on a used vehicle. The seller reimbursed me for the cost plus he paid for two keyless masters.($250 each!). Now the imcompetent Toyota Mall of GA people who didn't even understand the process as well as I did were another story.
Toyota basically pays for this once because they know its a stupid system and wasn't well thought out. They corrected the progamability of the ECUs on later models. I still don't know if the dealer was right saying "ONLY KEYLESS ENTRY KEYS CAN BE MASTERS". I got the feeling they weren't really sure of what they were doing. The tech left his programming manual in my vehicle, so I know he didn't know the process that well.

rule303 said:
I still don't know if the dealer was right saying "ONLY KEYLESS ENTRY KEYS CAN BE MASTERS". I got the feeling they weren't really sure of what they were doing.

I think they were right to a point. I think the remotes were the only master that Toyota offered with a 100 and the only master key that will show on thier parts lists. Cdan can sell you a Camry-type master that will work with the system for substantially less money but it wasn't original equipment on the 100.

Be careful of ebay keys. I have $35 key that "matches" but not quite. Also ebay model does not have removable metal part it is all in one

I contacted Toyota Customer Service and they replaced my ECU, I did have to buy $400.00 worth of keys. and show proof of registration. They don't want dealers cheating on the program.

Ok, so if a person wants to get another Master - remote key and has the master, where is the best place to purchase one? I wrote to Charlie and I will call Dan when I order my other items, but thought I would ask.
I found one on ebay for $85 - is this right? I thought I read $35, but do not know if this is the remote door locks key or just another valet.

When I purchased my vehicle, I only received one Master (the remote one, thankfully) with it. Just today, I successfully programmed a non-remote master key that I had bought off ebay. It cost me $13.98 for the key and $1.59 to get it cut at a local locksmith.

The programming instructions that I received with the key worked. The seller is transponderisland.

When I purchased my vehicle, I only received one Master (the remote one, thankfully) with it. Just today, I successfully programmed a non-remote master key that I had bought off ebay. It cost me $13.98 for the key and $1.59 to get it cut at a local locksmith.

The programming instructions that I received with the key worked. The seller is transponderisland.

Can u pls post those instructions here
Thanks

New to this awesome informitive site!!

New to this site , but have been workin on my 99LC for a year now. I have the toyota service manual and the posted procedure is correct. I have done this for 2 replacement keys i bought on ebay. 1 was a transponder only and the other was a key from a 99 LC. This is what i did: bought used key w/ remote entry(3 button original key) from ebay..make sure it is the ssame model year!!! I took the guts out of that key, bought a replacement case w/ blank blade from ebay. I had the key cut and then programmed it using the directions posted. Now the tricky part. To use the remote entry, you need to program the ecu to accept the new remote. it's a 2 minute process similar to the transponder programming steps. If anyone needs it, I can post it. Hopes this helps.
Will

Lospice, I followed Mainecruiser's instructions and programmed my new key, but I do still need to program the the remote key entry function. Will you please post that procedure? Thanks.

Nevermind. Finally found it by searching a little more. Amazing, that search function.

Huh, looks like this thread is abandoned?

Anyone buy a key (UNCUT KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY) from an ebay seller that they would recommend?

Like this:
landcru2.jpg

Last edited:
I would ask them it they send remote key programming instructions with the key. If they do, I would not hesitate to buy it.

Huh, looks like this thread is abandoned?

Anyone buy a key (UNCUT KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY) from an ebay seller that they would recommend?

Like this:

i got one like that off ebay and had it cut for free by toyota. now i have to program it .rub head,pat tummy,etc. will post and tell you if its a p.o.s. or not.

what a pain ...i have the instructions from the key and toyota ...not the same and neather one work ... toyota will re program it for 1 to 1&1\2 hrs what a deal.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom