Programing Keys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi new to the page and to owning a Land Cruiser. We just bought a 1998 LC and it only came with one key that I believe is a valet key. They gave us an after market key that we tried to have programmed by a locksmith who would only cut it not program it. I stumbled upon this site with instructions on programming a key and I can't believe it can be this easy. Anyone done this?
The dealer is currently asking for $170 to program another valet key so we at least have two keys that will start the car. It's about $350 to get a master key programmed and $550 to reprogram the whole damn thing. On top of this they say if any of the locks are near failure (they said it's about 80% chance of this) then they have to replace the locks before they can program anything.
Any help would be great!

BEWARE!!

If you have a 98 don't do it at the dealer. They erase the keys off the ECU and program all the keys again. However, on the 1998, if the key program is erased from the ECU it cannot have keys programed again and will need to be replaced. I went through this with my 98, it took 2 weeks and a bunch of complaining to the dealer. Finally, I got my LC back with a new ECU and my keys programmed. I only payed the $47 they originally quoted me to have the keys programmed but they were trying to charge me for the ECU and key programming after they erased it and my LC was dead. I have no idea how new keys can be programmed on a 98. On mine nothing worked, not even at the dealer.

Reactions: KTP
BEWARE!!

If you have a 98 don't do it at the dealer. They erase the keys off the ECU and program all the keys again. However, on the 1998, if the key program is erased from the ECU it cannot have keys programed again and will need to be replaced. I went through this with my 98, it took 2 weeks and a bunch of complaining to the dealer. Finally, I got my LC back with a new ECU and my keys programmed. I only payed the $47 they originally quoted me to have the keys programmed but they were trying to charge me for the ECU and key programming after they erased it and my LC was dead. I have no idea how new keys can be programmed on a 98. On mine nothing worked, not even at the dealer.

Seriously!? Good to know, but now what do I do? I'm happy it's super hard to steal my LC but holy crap it shouldn't be this hard to get a new key!

Seriously!? Good to know, but now what do I do? I'm happy it's super hard to steal my LC but holy crap it shouldn't be this hard to get a new key!
You can "add" a new key to your truck using the method in your first post. I think @kelly saad meant "Don't let your dealer touch it or they'll f' it up."

Thanks! I'll give it a try and we usually do everything ourselves or our local guy does what we can't do or get to in time. I thought the key thing was over my head but I'll give it a go.

You can "add" a new key to your truck using the method in your first post. I think @kelly saad meant "Don't let your dealer touch it or they'll f' it up."

BEWARE!!

That's odd. I have done a lot of them. Part number 89661-60610. I have heard stories of a Delco made ecu for that year that is difficult to program, but have not run across one yet.

Hi new to the page and to owning a Land Cruiser. We just bought a 1998 LC and it only came with one key that I believe is a valet key. They gave us an after market key that we tried to have programmed by a locksmith who would only cut it not program it. I stumbled upon this site with instructions on programming a key and I can't believe it can be this easy. Anyone done this?
The dealer is currently asking for $170 to program another valet key so we at least have two keys that will start the car. It's about $350 to get a master key programmed and $550 to reprogram the whole damn thing. On top of this they say if any of the locks are near failure (they said it's about 80% chance of this) then they have to replace the locks before they can program anything.
Any help would be great!

Somebody fed you a bunch of bologna. I can get you going with 2 remote master keys for $130. Or I will send you a chip with the virgin code written to it to diy for free. Thats if you don't have the dreaded Delco ecu.

How do I know if I have the Delco ecu? My husband would probably know but I told him I wanted to take care of this and he's out of town.
Otherwise my luck hasn't been so great lately that I think we could be anywhere near each other for you to be able to program new keys for me.

Somebody fed you a bunch of bologna. I can get you going with 2 remote master keys for $130. Or I will send you a chip with the virgin code written to it to diy for free. Thats if you don't have the dreaded Delco ecu.

How do I know if I have the Delco ecu? My husband would probably know but I told him I wanted to take care of this and he's out of town.
Otherwise my luck hasn't been so great lately that I think we could be anywhere near each other for you to be able to program new keys for me.

The part number is on the ecu behind the glove box. It is easy to get to. I am pretty sure you have part number 89661-60610 it is the most common.

Somebody fed you a bunch of bologna. I can get you going with 2 remote master keys for $130. Thats if you don't have the dreaded Delco ecu.
I’d be down for that deal. I have a 99 I just purchased that only has the single valet key. @Mauser how can I order from u?

Last edited:
I’d be down for that deal. I have a 99 I just purchased that only has the single valet key. @Mauser how can I order from u?

Don't know how I missed this. There are a couple of different options we offer. Send me a message and we will figure out what will work for you.

I have an 02, but I was told at my local ace hardware that if you purchase the key with transponder ($79), and have a valid valet key they can clone it. I only have a single valet currently and will give them a shot in the next few days and will report back.

I just bypassed the whole thing. Cut the top off of my old key and glued it to the top of the ignition switch. Now I can get a key cut anywhere for cheap. Been this way for the last 10 years. Made it easier to install my remote start also.

I have an 02, but I was told at my local ace hardware that if you purchase the key with transponder ($79), and have a valid valet key they can clone it. I only have a single valet currently and will give them a shot in the next few days and will report back.

This will work, but you will still have only valet keys and some clones can lose their programming.

I just bypassed the whole thing. Cut the top off of my old key and glued it to the top of the ignition switch. Now I can get a key cut anywhere for cheap. Been this way for the last 10 years. Made it easier to install my remote start also.

This works good, especially for a remote start. The immobilizer does make them a little more difficult to steal though. And when I go into town (Albuquerque) it gives me a little peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom