Production Date Question - Spline Count - Blown Motor (looking for a 2F) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Hey Folks! So I have determined that my 40 was manufactured in Oct of 67 (based on VIN FJ40-51905) and sold some time in 68. This is significant to me primarily because if I can get the DMV here in NV to "correct" the title to 67, I don't have to smog it or have it registered as a Classic Rod (exempts smog, but limits annual mileage to <5K). This also raises a question...

I was hoping my "68" came with the higher spline axles, am I correct in assuming that this would not be the case since it was manufactured in 67? Is there an "easy" way to tell without cracking open the 3rd members? Also, I am aware there are parts that would allow me to upgrade to the higher spline count? Does anyone know of a "kit"?

On a sad note... My 1 week old (to me) 40 got a little warm the other day when I was taking it to the DMV for VIN verification. The needle wasn't pegged on the H and I heard no boiling and saw no steaming. I figured I'd flush the radiator, maybe change out water based coolant for some Evans. But now... oil pressure is low (like just above the L) and I think I see water in the oil filler (milky white droplets) and there is a noticeable tick in the engine now... I think I might have warped or cracked the head... But it still fires right up and has power and idles well... I also reconnected the PCV and plugged a vacuum leak, IDK. I'll no more later this week when I drain the oil, but my priorities may have just changed to getting a new engine. Any thoughts on this?

I'll probably upgrade to a 2F (I REALLY want a diesel! but $$$). Is anyone selling? I'll also be putting in an H55F trans.

I don’t know about how it is done in Nevada, but typically an October build vehicle is the next model year. So while it was built in ‘67, it really is a ‘68 model truck. Here in Oregon they would not backdate to ‘67 for that reason.

the factory used up all the old parts before installing new ones, so it's hard to say until the axles are torn down, only way to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom