Procedure for replacing 100 series(98 and up) starter contacts (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp said:
There's really not that much to it..really. Just move slowly and methodically........It took me longer than it should have, but it's really pretty straightforward
DAMN YOU!!!!! ok, where can i get these contacts...?

You'll probably want to replace the plunger along with the contacts. Minimal cost. CruiserDan knows exactly what you need.

Noah said:
DAMN YOU!!!!! ok, where can i get these contacts...?
I have to tell you, if it were me (and it WAS me at one time, as I've already done this job), I'd order an entire starter. The reason I say that (and the reason I did just that) is, based on the amount of work to do this job, I wouldn't want to have to do it but once! I read where others have done the contacts, only to have had something go wrong and have to do it again. To me, it was worth the extra expense to know I had a fully-functional starter to replace my ailing one.....just my STRONG suggestion

dnp said:
I have to tell you, if it were me (and it WAS me at one time, as I've already done this job), I'd order an entire starter. The reason I say that (and the reason I did just that) is, based on the amount of work to do this job, I wouldn't want to have to do it but once! I read where others have done the contacts, only to have had something go wrong and have to do it again. To me, it was worth the extra expense to know I had a fully-functional starter to replace my ailing one.....just my STRONG suggestion
you make a good point:beer:

ok, i bought a whole new starter and i am just about to tackle it......

one question - i there anything else i should change out while i have this beast apart..????

Toyata parts store closes at 4 EST......

Noah said:
ok, i bought a whole new starter and i am just about to tackle it......

one question - i there anything else i should change out while i have this beast apart..????

Toyata parts store closes at 4 EST......
I bought and installed new intake gaskets (between the intake and the heads), though I'm not certain I needed them.....just a little extra "insurance," and I'd probably do it again for the same reason.

I'm sure you've read this whole thread, right? In my opinion, there's only one really difficult obstacle in the process, and that's getting to the starter bolts (they're located on the transmission side of the block) There's a lot of room to get to them, but there's a wiring harness in the way. There are a few ways to get to them to get them out, and this thread lists all of them.......You'll be glad you did this job yourself, as I'm sure it's pretty pricey at the dealership! Don't get frustrated, because it's one of those tasks that'll take you 6 hours to do it the first time, but if you ever had to do it again, it'd take you 3 or less...........GOOD LUCK!

dnp said:
I bought and installed new intake gaskets (between the intake and the heads), though I'm not certain I needed them.....just a little extra "insurance," and I'd probably do it again for the same reason.

I'm sure you've read this whole thread, right? In my opinion, there's only one really difficult obstacle in the process, and that's getting to the starter bolts (they're located on the transmission side of the block) There's a lot of room to get to them, but there's a wiring harness in the way. There are a few ways to get to them to get them out, and this thread lists all of them.......You'll be glad you did this job yourself, as I'm sure it's pretty pricey at the dealership! Don't get frustrated, because it's one of those tasks that'll take you 6 hours to do it the first time, but if you ever had to do it again, it'd take you 3 or less...........GOOD LUCK!
cool thanks...

as for the intake gaskets - will i have to remove anything extra to change them out?? Do i need to use gasket sealer or are they pressure sealed.....

thanks again

Noah said:
cool thanks...

as for the intake gaskets - will i have to remove anything extra to change them out?? Do i need to use gasket sealer or are they pressure sealed.....

thanks again
Nope, they'll just be sitting there when you remove the intake. No gasket sealer necessary.......again, I just replaced them simply for added insurance

why the fxxx can i not get those clips off the fawken sides....4 on each side - i guess they would be distributer wires................i hate them

Just did the starter contacts on my 98 LX 470, almost exactly 90k miles. Not to bad really, even the starter bolts not that bad. Took about 4 hours. And the best part is when you get back in and it starts up right up. Thanks to CruiserDan for the right parts and a few tips and rph74 for a good write up.

i am unfortuantaley having a bit more issues....Way to hot in ATL, some stuff dont want to budge......well i am done for the day....i'll put her together tomorrow........
thanks for the help

Noah said:
why the fxxx can i not get those clips off the fawken sides....4 on each side - i guess they would be distributer wires................i hate them

You sure they aren't the fuel injector clips? Those wee a PITA for me when I did my contacts. I was waiting for them to break but they didn't.

tabraha said:
You sure they aren't the fuel injector clips? Those wee a PITA for me when I did my contacts. I was waiting for them to break but they didn't.
yep those were the clips......two cut fingers later i got them off...

I tell you one thing, taking the manafold off by myself was a bitch........and being 6'1" and stuffing myself in engine capartment was not fun.......

Congrats. I'm 6-1 as well and my back hurt for 2 days after bending around under that hood. I had my wife help with the manifold. 2 extra hands go a long way for that part.

Glad you got it done..sure beats paying someone else to do it!

rph1974 said:
Glad you got it done..sure beats paying someone else to do it!
i am still sore........but i saved $700....

Toyota wanted $300 for the starter and $700 to put it in - can you say RIPOFF

Noah said:
i am still sore........but i saved $700....

Toyota wanted $300 for the starter and $700 to put it in - can you say RIPOFF

Wow, $700 for the labor? After I did this job, I called my local independent Toyota shop just to see how much I saved, and they quoted me $168 to do the contacts. I had a feeling that their quote was too low, perhaps didn't take into consideration removing the intake manifold. Anyone else have any quotes from their independent shops?

Funny, I hadn't been on this board for a while, and I was just talking to some coworkers about how we all give and take information on car message boards, and that my biggest "give" so far was this write up.

What did we do before the internet?

rph1974 said:
Wow, $700 for the labor? After I did this job, I called my local independent Toyota shop just to see how much I saved, and they quoted me $168 to do the contacts. I had a feeling that their quote was too low, perhaps didn't take into consideration removing the intake manifold. Anyone else have any quotes from their independent shops?

Funny, I hadn't been on this board for a while, and I was just talking to some coworkers about how we all give and take information on car message boards, and that my biggest "give" so far was this write up.

What did we do before the internet?
that quote prolly was to only change the contacts i.e. hand the starter to them and they hand it back to you with new contacts in it and says "have fun putting this back in"......

My nextdoor neighbor got stuck with a $1200 bill.......how is that for a rip off...

although it was not from a Toyota shop

rph1974 said:
After I did this job, I called my local independent Toyota shop just to see how much I saved, and they quoted me $168 to do the contacts. I had a feeling that their quote was too low, perhaps didn't take into consideration removing the intake manifold.
$168 sounds like maybe they quoted you for a 97 LC as the shop rate to change that starter is probably about 1.5 hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom