Pre-purchase scan: P2714 pending (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 2010 LX 570 with almost 200k miles. It has been cared for meticulously by the PO except for the transmission. He towed with it quite frequently and I don't believe ever changed the fluid. He had it serviced at the dealer for everything, but since the transmission fluid is "lifetime", it never came up on a scheduled maintenance.

I plugged in my scanner when test driving and P2714 (Pressure Control Solenoid “D” Performance / Stuck Off) is pending. From my understanding, this could be anywhere from low fluid level to a soon to be complete rebuild.

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm thinking about getting a Blackstone analysis of the fluid, but think it will be sold by the time the results come in.

Last edited:
I'm was in a similar situation with a 2008 Landcruiser with 197,000 miles. I have a slight transmission hesitation when shifting from reverse to drive. The vehicle was in such excellent condition I took the chance. We have to realize these have 200K miles and are 13-15 years old. I was willing to risk it for the vehicle that will have a lot of life left even if I have to swap in a transmission. My previous owner said the transmission oil had been changed and I'm not sure if that's caused my hesitation. All indications for you are you shouldn't try to change the transmission fluid at this point. So either way you have to decide if the value of the vehicle is worth the potential of having to do some transmission work. For me, the vehicle is worth the risk.

I'm was in a similar situation with a 2008 Landcruiser with 197,000 miles. I have a slight transmission hesitation when shifting from reverse to drive. The vehicle was in such excellent condition I took the chance. We have to realize these have 200K miles and are 13-15 years old. I was willing to risk it for the vehicle that will have a lot of life left even if I have to swap in a transmission. My previous owner said the transmission oil had been changed and I'm not sure if that's caused my hesitation. All indications for you are you shouldn't try to change the transmission fluid at this point. So either way you have to decide if the value of the vehicle is worth the potential of having to do some transmission work. For me, the vehicle is worth the risk.
Why not? Even just a couple quarts at a time by a drain/refill?

Most videos I've watched from Toyota techs say if they're over 150K then they don't recommend oil changes. That said, I'd give it a try since either way it might need some work. Best case, new oil does nothing but extend the time. I personally wouldn't do more than a drain and refill which may swap out about 4-quarts. The premise of the argument is the existing fluid has particles that assist in clutch disc engagement. If you swap too much of the oil out, the friction characteristics may changes to overcompensate from the 200K miles of normal wear and introduce slippage.

It's easy to even start with just a fluid level check and add fluid if it's low.

This guy has several videos on the transmission topic.

I don't have insight for what the problem is or how severe, but if you like the vehicle I'd use the code as leverage. Do some napkin math on the worst case scenario (rebuild/replace trans) and subtract it from your fair value offer if the end result is worth it to you.

For what it's worth, pre-facelift LX prices are dropping and it shouldn't be hard to find another without this issue. So consider passing if it isn't a screaming deal.

For what it's worth, pre-facelift LX prices are dropping and it shouldn't be hard to find another without this issue. So consider passing if it isn't a screaming deal.
Didn't know that. Seller has it at $23k and pretty firm.

I'd walk.

I think best case scenario with that code is that the transmission valve assembly needs to be replaced. Those are about $1k or so I've heard. I think it's seen more typically on the Tundra but that's probably a volume thing. It could just be a failed solenoid, though I've heard they are hard to source if it is. A full transmission rebuild is probably in the $6-8k range, possibly more.

Those are about $1k
A full transmission rebuild is probably in the $6-8k range
W.T.F? Solenoid valves are less than $300/each and there's an outlined procedure in the service manual to test them. You can buy a brand new transmission for under $3500 plus $850 for a new torque converter.

W.T.F? Solenoid valves are less than $300/each and there's an outlined procedure in the service manual to test them. You can buy a brand new transmission for under $3500 plus $850 for a new torque converter.
is the $3500 new trans from toyota?

I doubt it. The list price for a reman is $3500.

Thanks all. I've decided to pass on it.
i am on 270k on mine
all stock
smooth as butter
trans fluid changed at every 60k

—///

my 200 is the cheapest one on this site
1 owner
clean title
mint
no accident

—-/

toms of good deals out there if you hunt

good luck

I dunno. There are 2 threads in the forum this year. One was a guy with a bad valve body. He reused his solenoids because iirc he said they weren’t available. Going from memory, might have been he mechanic couldn’t readily source them or something.

The other was someone who had a transmission swapped at a dealer for I think $8-9k, in the last month or so.

I’ve no experience doing a replacement in my LC. In my old ‘66 Mustang in 1995 it was $400 to swap in a reman trans. So even the thought of $3500 makes me frown

I doubt it. The list price for a reman is $3500.

Thanks all. I've decided to pass on it.
Probably wise. That plus labor plus a torque converter plus fluids etc could easily be $6k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom