Prado 120 sub tank in a GX470 - has anyone done it? Well I’m gonna try! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the guys in Russia in August 2011 have already installed an additional fuel tank on the Prado 120, if you need any spare parts, I'll try to find them.
If you need a translation from Russian to English, I will try to translate it.
LINK:

That's a fantastic resource!

the guys in Russia in August 2011 have already installed an additional fuel tank on the Prado 120, if you need any spare parts, I'll try to find them.
If you need a translation from Russian to English, I will try to translate it.
LINK:

No idea what any of that says but the photos are definitely helpful. Should be easier for them as they already have the non-US main tank and evap system, everything should be plug and play. Still - looking at their marked up parts diagram, all of the parts that have to be added are pretty much the same. I’m still going through the thread...

Funny that in the first photo of the sub tank with the fittings, that plastic piece that all the lines clip into is the one part I haven’t been able to find. NLA.

I have to laugh at these photos, comparing it to all the people on this forum who are wrenching in their osha approved tevas.
D1A8CFB0-DACD-4069-8063-CE0D59ACE057.png

Those are photos of all the lines in the fuel tank & tube diagram, the first one is the evap, second is filler vent from main to sub, third is the fuel line. Helpful to see them for sure.

I wasn't able to source any clips . . . admittedly when I just couldn't 'add to cart' I gave up. I did try to add a few North America parts from a US dealer; the dealer called and told me no, they weren't available. I asked why they listed them on their site and took the order . . .awkward . . .Cable ties FTW!

I figured out that safari can translate these to English, very helpful and some lols
D3339761-8FC7-4547-882F-7848D518E18E.png

I wasn't able to source any clips . . . admittedly when I just couldn't 'add to cart' I gave up. I did try to add a few North America parts from a US dealer; the dealer called and told me no, they weren't available. I asked why they listed them on their site and took the order . . .awkward . . .Cable ties FTW!
Did you try any dealers in Japan or UAE?

Nah. I didn't look very hard at all. Put the numbers into Partsouq, 0 available, put them in a US site, ordered the ones that came up but these all got canceled by parts manager at that dealer. I also broke all the clips that were in place while fighting the filler. But the way the 200 routes eveything all together easy to bundle up. There are other hardlines and the filler right there, so lots to cable/zip tie too and it's not going anywhere.

I arrived home today to find two rather large packages.

83C87FDA-48BB-4740-BDAD-EA40AD170580.jpeg

Not yet unfortunately, I need to verify a few things and place another order for the remainder of the parts. The most critical being the fuel pump and fuel plumbing. I have a list of all the parts that I have ordered and that remain to be ordered, of course as parts are received I am figuring out that some parts are included with others, examples being the isolator pads you can see on top of the tank (I already ordered those separately) and gaskets for a lot of the tank fittings are pre-installed on the fittings. I wanted to verify some of the hose sizes and especially the filler diameter (knowing the issues that you had with yours @grinchy) to decide if I would order the new rubber hose. I will post a list with part numbers once I have this all figured out.

Hope to find time this weekend to assemble the tank with all the fittings, have to balance it with kids sports and house projects.

Last edited:
Are you replacing the fuel pump out of caution? I did (had a sender issue around empty) but the part specific mounting plate and the o rings is likely all that need to be swapped.

I will check again, but I believe I need to order the entire fuel pump assembly to get the siphon assembly. I don’t know the expected lifespan of the fuel pump but I am at 166k, so I’m not too upset about replacing the entire thing.

I can speak To the 200 design, the mounting plate contains the differences. The pump,has a different part # but it is physically identical and I don’t think it it any different. One site succeeded reusing the pump and just replacing the o rings as part of a rebuild and swapping all the stuff to the new mounting plate.

I also chose to replace as I had a 12 year old pump at 225k miles and the minor sender issue. It did add $300 to the BOM to replace rather than rebuild. Could be a significant factor for some.

I can speak To the 200 design, the mounting plate contains the differences. The pump,has a different part # but it is physically identical and I don’t think it it any different. One site succeeded reusing the pump and just replacing the o rings as part of a rebuild and swapping all the stuff to the new mounting plate.

I also chose to replace as I had a 12 year old pump at 225k miles and the minor sender issue. It did add $300 to the BOM to replace rather than rebuild. Could be a significant factor for some.
Interesting that Toyota sells the plate separately for the 200 but not for the 120, I compared the parts diagrams and confirmed:

200 pump
4A3F2C0A-EE97-4433-8A51-DEF7576AFE7B.jpeg

120 pump
B2DEA6DD-86EC-4683-8C4C-1EF51FA02777.jpeg

It’s shown as a separate component in the diagram but no part number is identified, I checked several different petrol versions of the 120 (different markets) and the diagrams are the same.

I found a bit of time yesterday to get the tank assembled.

like I already mentioned, the isolator pads come pre-installed on the tank.
93E2CE0E-3AF1-493C-8621-4E5AADAF0E0A.jpeg

The drain plug and gasket are also installed. No need to order these parts.
528569D1-E619-404C-9B93-5FA06E6E66BA.jpeg

The tank filler, gasket comes pre installed so no need to order separately.
204D1E2B-5826-4621-AA03-48413E1ACD2A.jpeg

the fuel tube, again, no need to order the gasket.
FC9D2FEC-3A00-43E7-A424-CD9E8661AED1.jpeg

the vent to evap - notice the float/ check valve that needs to be ordered separately.
9CD3EA36-D716-4103-86D6-39E58D4A66EA.jpeg

the fuel level sender
AC45F480-E0C7-4642-AD18-BD8531B36679.jpeg

I have my proper JIS screw driver for the screws. The sender installed with the float toward the filler side of the tank and the electrical connection pointing forward
87D8FCA1-981A-43E6-8E79-E4B7FEEB4D4B.jpeg

the check valve for the vent to evap has these two locating pins that sit in the indents in the cut out. The float is sandwiched between the top of the tank and the vent, you can see the recess in the gasket where it sits.
32D150BA-EF32-4D98-A8D1-2115DB48F26A.jpeg

5A940EE6-EA38-4614-BE0F-C64084A04E37.jpeg

The fuel feed and return - the feed line has a screen and what looks like a check valve. This assembly also has an electrical connection to ground.
19CD50A2-CE62-41E0-A912-A0933E5324B2.jpeg

The baffling inside the tank
63486274-E2D3-4774-B3F3-0C0967A6E6A1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom