Power window relay mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
A while back @slcfj62 posted a thread about adding relays to the power window circuit in the driver's door (here: Power Windows and Door Locks--Permanent Fix! ). However, I think, with some extra work, there is a better method. This would involve running power and ground to each door individually and installing a pair of relays in each door. @torfab has done this at his shop with great results (at least my understanding is that this is the method he used. Please correct me if I'm wrong Tor). Once I can make some more progress on my gauge voltage regulator mod, I'm going to look into figuring out the best way to accomplish this. My hope is to design a simple bracket that will hold the two relays and use spade terminals for the sake of easily connecting the assembly in-line between the vehicle's wiring connector and the regulator motor. In a perfect world, I'd love to use compact relays mounted on a PCB with high current traces to make the installation as plug-n-play as possible and offer it as a kit, but given how many delays and hangups I've had with the voltage regulator project, at this point I don't intend to go this route. If I can figure out a good way to do this, obviously I'll share it on the forum so anyone else can do it too.

The whole reason I'm posting this is to hear thoughts from others or suggestions/ideas on how to go about this. I'd especially like to hear from @slcfj62 and @torfab on this one.

This is how we do it every time, run clean power and ground to each door and install two relays. I did this to my 90 FJ62 and purposely didn't replace the window runs at ~$100 per door and it works great. I also installed new door lock actuators using our custom brackets.

That's what had me thinking of going this route with the windows. With your method, does the window lock on the driver's panel still function or do you lose that? With young kids that regularly sit in the back I like to be able to keep them from opening windows when I'm on the highway.

Would love to learn more of your power lock remedy too. Bracket design, source of actuators, etc. Ideally I'd love to bring my 62 to Everett and just have you guys do it so I could be supporting another Mud vendor, but It's been many years since I've been able to make it west of the mountains, so I'm hoping to DIY it.

Last edited:
Would love to learn more of your power lock remedy too. Bracket design, source of actuators, etc. Ideally I'd love to bring my 62 to Lynnwood and just have you guys do it so I could be supporting another Mud vendor, but It's been many years since I've been able to make it west of the mountains, so I'm hoping to DIY it.

Same here. I'd love to see if @torfab could provide brackets and actuators for DIY.

Same here. I'd love to see if @torfab could provide brackets and actuators for DIY.
I'm hoping they can be talked into doing up and selling kits....

Okay so I found my stash of relays and a few other parts I was thinking would help with this, and I'm thinking maybe this winter I'll experiment on my worst door, starting with just the window. If I can either make a bracket that'll hold all four relays (two each for the window motor and lock actuator) or better yet, source smaller form factor automotive relays, and find a location for a power distribution and circuit breaker block in my engine bay, I'll see what I can come up with. Though this would be far more labor intensive than @slcfj62's mod, it should still allow for locking out the windows from the driver's control panel. It would also be a much more permanent (in a way of speaking), though still reversible mod.

Caveat: If this turns out to be successful, I'll post a write-up with pictures and part numbers, but have no intention of designing or selling a kit. I'm still trying to get things together for my solid state instrument voltage regulator mod so I can finally complete and sell that, and after that will be investing in some tooling to start up another couple Cruiser related side hustles I want to get going to support us 60 series owners who can't get certain parts new in OEM flavor. More on that if my plans actually come to fruition.

@Spook50 Did you post a write-up on this? Thanks in advance
To be honest, I haven't even done the mod yet. I've gotten so caught up with other issues on my truck and in my personal life that it's become one of those "once I get my garage cleared out and get the 62 parked inside" projects (among many other small-ish ones). I do have all the wiring and the parts I plan to use, but have to devise a good mounting setup for the relays that'll hold them secure without interfering with the window operation.

To be honest, I haven't even done the mod yet. I've gotten so caught up with other issues on my truck and in my personal life that it's become one of those "once I get my garage cleared out and get the 62 parked inside" projects (among many other small-ish ones). I do have all the wiring and the parts I plan to use, but have to devise a good mounting setup for the relays that'll hold them secure without interfering with the window operation.
No worries at all! I’m in the same boat except my list of thing to do has gotten so large I forget what’s on it… repair rear windshield washer line, suspension, front driveline, slow windows, the list goes on.
And I love driving the car so if I’m working on it that’s inhibiting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom