Power tilt steering wheel issue (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
My power tilt/ telescoping steering wheel adjustments has stopped going up or down. It will move inwards and outwards but the problem is the steering wheels is in the low position (hitting knees!). Any thoughts on what could cause this? I have noticed that compared 'to the old days' the mechanism seems to move much slower. Unlike my FJ80 the manual adjustment works like a charm-- bloody electronics!

I am 1000 miles from home and have the return trip in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi guys,
My power tilt/ telescoping steering wheel adjustments has stopped going up or down. It will move inwards and outwards but the problem is the steering wheels is in the low position (hitting knees!). Any thoughts on what could cause this? I have noticed that compared 'to the old days' the mechanism seems to move much slower. Unlike my FJ80 the manual adjustment works like a charm-- bloody electronics!

I am 1000 miles from home and have the return trip in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
There is a small motor that is known to go out. I don't think there is a quick fix to manually adjust it either. Here's an old thread talking about the issue:

Thanks for link- missed it. Imagine that silly little motor in the UK from Toyota cost nearly GBP550 and more in Denmark! 3 hour labor quote, yikes....never thought these stupid little electric things could be such a nuisance-- no issues with FJ40 and FJ80....hah

You can open it up and adjust it by hand. Can't remember how much you have to undo/unscrew, maybe the motor has to be disconnected.

A bit late now, but those of us who read forums as a hobby have disabled the automatic adjustment from day one, and the motor will outlast the rest of the car.

What happens when wife drives (pray) but need to adjust steering wheel? Is there a manual way to raise the bloody wheel so it does t hit my knees? Have a 1000 mIke journey home...tkx

Thanks for the info and link — very helpful. The cost of the motor is a whopping amount in Europe and Toyota estimate 3h labor. How can you disable the “return to home”
Function when you turn motor off to not wear out new motor. I am fine with manually adjusting position with joypad. If you disable the return to home will this disable the position settings on door (seat and steering wheel memory)? Many thanks Ed

To disable,

Your Toyota dealer can also do it for you. The disable is selectable and will not adversely affect anything else. I think there are also other, plug and play handheld devices that can do it too but I'm not familiar with them. Maybe somebody can chime in.

I need to disable the autopilot feature, on a 2008 LX570. I used tech stream, and it did not give me an option to turn it off?
Worked like a charm on my 99 lx470 and 2017 LC200, just not on the 08 LX570.
any help much needed.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom