Power steering issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I have an interesting issue with my power steering. I have a 72 40 with a 5.3 and I'm using a sag power steering box. I finally got to the point in my build where I finally have the engine running. I don't have the drag link connected. The only thing on the box is the pitman arm. When I fire up the engine the wheel turns to the left by itself...I've never seen anything like that before. Any help with this issue would be great.
thanx
Craig

Probably just a result of the fluid pressure in the gear box. Because the pitman arm isn't connected to anything you get steering wheel movement. Try centering the steering wheel up and lining things up before you start it and put a block of wood between the pitman arm and the drivers side frame rail with something to hold it in place. Then start the motor and see what happens. My guess is the slight resistance of the block of wood will keep the wheel from moving and fluid will just continue to circulate in the system.

On mine I mounted the pitman arm pointing straight back when the gear box was centered.

Pitman Arm.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the lines are not mixed up on the steering box end?

I had everything in the right places...I ended up going to Napa and getting a rebuilt steering box. Problem fixed! That's what I get for pulling the old one off a different project...lol. Thanx for the input you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom