Power Steering Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After totaling my 2004 4Runner two weeks ago, I jump in the 80 after work and find no power steering.

It had been whining recently, and we got our first blast of actual winter two days ago. Drove her this morning and she was good. After work. Nope.

Up under the front end, in front of the lower portion of the radiator, looks like it absolutely exploded. Is that the location of the high pressure lines? I’m not much of a mechanic, so I have already ordered all the lines and a power steering rebuild kit in hopes it’s just the lines!

What "exploded", do you mean you found power steering fluid/ATF leaking??

Was the power steering reservoir empty?

What year/model is your 80 series?

Can you post up some photos, maybe wash that area off first?

1994. The reservoir is now empty, again, after filling it trying to diagnose.

No pics, as the sun was fleeting. I stuck my head under from the front and looked up and in about 8”, just in front of the radiator. On the center.

Ut oh. Please expand? Lol. It sounds like it’s gotta be common if it’s got a nickname.
Yep, it's a $350+ Toyota part.

Otherwise, you can get a replacement from a FLAPS, and gamble on quality for $50.

Replace ALL your PS hoses at once.

Look up part numbers on www.partsouq.com and buy from them or buy USA from McGeorge Toyota online.

Radiator. Does it have an additional cooler for other fluids? I have too many cars to remember anything now. Maybe that part gave out?

Ut oh. Please expand? Lol. It sounds like it’s gotta be common if it’s got a nickname.
It's just shaped like (half) a paperclip.
I've not known it to be problematic, but maybe others have.
Can't imagine what would have caused it to "explode" (split?), short of water freezing inside it??
It is on the low pressure side of the system and not made of rubber.

Here's an image pulled off the net.

Also, click on the Wits End link above and scroll through the images
for his custom power steering cooler. There's a good diagram of the PS cooling pipes and hoses.

power steering cooler.jpg

Just thought I'd add, the power steering hose for my 1996 HZJ80 is also shot and needs replacing. It's leaking a little but haven't had the cash to overhaul it all yet. Replacing these hoses should be high up on the preventative maintenance list for anyone who hasn't done it yet. Looks like 25 years is beyond their lifespan.

Get a flashlight, clean things up down there. FIRST check to see that the expansion plug on your Power Steering Pump is still in place. They have been known to dislodge and dump all of your fluid all over that entire area. SECOND check hoses and cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom