Power Steering Adjustment Screw O-ring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, long time member very infrequent poster :)

I've got a 1997 model and on the way home the other day power steering gave out on me and just pouring fluid when I poured more in. A friend of mine helped me diagnose and he said it looked like I had an o-ring blow out on the power steering adjustment screw and that fluid was squirting from it nicely. Pic of the screw and what I think is busted out oring coming out of it below.

My questions:

1) Is this a thing that happens? I had my full power steering system replaced a few years ago and Im hoping that I won't have to do that again. I was looking through a buddies 1996 service manual and couldn't find anything on it, but maybe it has another name?

2) If this is a thing that happens, what is the right size oring and are there any tips or things to avoid when replacing it?

IMG_2981.JPG

This is not normal. Just oreder the correct Oring from Toyota.

Yep, figuring out what the name of the correct o-ring is what I’m hoping to do and not having any luck figuring it out.

I’m not sure, but you might have to buy the entire steering gear rebuild seal kit. Or, look into removing that Oring alone and matching it up with one from elsewhere.

IIRC that's a washer with an o ring bonded to it's core, like an oil drain bolt washer. You might get lucky and find one in a blister pack at an auto parts store.

Happened on my Cruiser.

Mine is a Redhead rebuild with 105 guts. Redhead actually changed this washer for a thing of their own design, which you don’t have. I got rid of their setup on the adjusting nut and put an OEM washer on, all good.

Mine is the only one I have seen do it.

Cheers

I have a Redhead rebuild that is about 15 years old and is leaking. I cleaned it up a few months back but never pinpointed where it was leaking from. I figured I was going to need a rebuild but maybe I need to take a look at the $5 washer.

I have a Redhead rebuild that is about 15 years old and is leaking. I cleaned it up a few months back but never pinpointed where it was leaking from. I figured I was going to need a rebuild but maybe I need to take a look at the $5 washer.

Redhead puts a nylock nut on there upside down. Mine started leaking in 2-3,000 miles, on the trail. It puked bad until I went back to the OEM setup.

Redhead now does all our rebuilds using the OEM washer and nut.

Cheers

Redhead puts a nylock nut on there upside down. Mine started leaking in 2-3,000 miles, on the trail. It puked bad until I went back to the OEM setup.

Redhead now does all our rebuilds using the OEM washer and nut.

Cheers

My Redhead rebuild leaked badly and had to go back after a couple months.

My Redhead rebuild leaked badly and had to go back after a couple months.
How long ago was yours rebuilt by redhead? These posts have me concerned because I recently had my box rebuilt and tapped for hydro-assist and I plan putting the new set up to the test on the Rubicon later this month.

But, it does seem that if leaking adjustment screws were a standard occurrence post Redhead rebuild, it would be well known and they would have rectified the source of the problem causing the leak.

How long ago was yours rebuilt by redhead? These posts have me concerned because I recently had my box rebuilt and tapped for hydro-assist and I plan putting the new set up to the test on the Rubicon later this month.

But, it does seem that if leaking adjustment screws were a standard occurrence post Redhead rebuild, it would be well known and they would have rectified the source of the problem causing the leak.
Mine was rebuilt in 2006 after my wife rear ended someone. I assume the sector shaft got bent. The work was subbed out from the body shop to a frame and axle shop. I am not positive it was a Redhead rebuild but the top of the steering gear is painted red and Redhead is pretty local. I'm not sure what was leaking and what was done to solve the problem. I do know it is now leaking all over the place but I haven't identified where the fluid is coming from. It may not be the steering gear but I discovered it while I was replacing the steering pump and all the low pressure lines.

IMG_7062.jpg

Last edited:

So they say they have had probs with the OEM washer on the adjuster leaking. They came up with their own solution. They say that is a specialized nylon nut which they install upside down.

I have never seen a box on any Cruiser leak here so it is not a common leak location. Like I say they are installing OEM washer and nut here on all our boxes. Which they can do for anyone you just have to request it.

Also, RH is super good at customer service. I was a little upset about my box. When i called, they had a new one built with 105 and OEM parts by mid next day and shipped out to me at no cost. Once I received it, which took two days, I shipped them back mine.

Cheers

So they say they have had probs with the OEM washer on the adjuster leaking. They came up with their own solution. They say that is a specialized nylon nut which they install upside down.

I have never seen a box on any Cruiser leak here so it is not a common leak location. Like I say they are installing OEM washer and nut here on all our boxes. Which they can do for anyone you just have to request it.

Also, RH is super good at customer service. I was a little upset about my box. When i called, they had a new one built with 105 and OEM parts by mid next day and shipped out to me at no cost. Once I received it, which took two days, I shipped them back mine.

Cheers
I going to call and talk to them. I don’t have time for my fluid to pissed all over the rocks. I told tem I was going to send my box, 105 shaft and all oem seals including adjuster screw and nut. He tells me “don’t bother sending the seals, we use our own proprietary stuff”. Thanks for this info

I going to call and talk to them. I don’t have time for my fluid to pissed all over the rocks. I told tem I was going to send my box, 105 shaft and all oem seals including adjuster screw and nut. He tells me “don’t bother sending the seals, we use our own proprietary stuff”. Thanks for this info

Look at the cap on your box, it is obvious if it is OEM or their setup.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice everyone, got the part on Monday and had it fixed up in about 20 minutes today.
Surprisingly easy to get to once I removed the battery box. Happy to have a repair that was $8 and less than an hour including the test drive and leak check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom