Power seat won't move!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My seats do the same. It appears one side moves and not the other, binds and then stops. The side that moves only moves a slight amount too.
Here's the web site where I ordered the replacement gears from.

Gamiviti - custom manufactured happiness

Gamiviti is great. It's a cheap way to fix these seats correctly.

Mine started doing this a few weeks ago. Took the seat out of the truck, turned it upside down and manually turned the big screws till the seat was all the way back. For now, I have been telling people NOT TO MOVE THE SEAT forward. Now I know where to order the plastic gears. Thanks!

Mine started doing this a few weeks ago. Took the seat out of the truck, turned it upside down and manually turned the big screws till the seat was all the way back. For now, I have been telling people NOT TO MOVE THE SEAT forward. Now I know where to order the plastic gears. Thanks!

unplug the seat, they won't have the option

unplug the seat, they won't have the option

...sometimes the most obvious solutions are right there. :hillbilly:

Honestly though, I wanted to keep the option to adjust the seatback.

I was able to get my seat to move by jamming a ballpoint pen (screwdriver or whatever should work too) into the place where the cap is missing, hold it in tight while you flip the lever & it should go. luckily my missing cap is to the outside so plenty of room without having to take the seat out.

I got the caps from gamiviti too but haven't installed them yet, gonna do it tomorrow... maybe

I'm having the same problem with my LX. Glad I found this thread. Seems there are several temporary fixes and a few potentially long term fixes. Now to just get home and get to work. Thanks.

To those that are troubleshooting this problem I have a couple of questions:

When you say the gears are stripped, should there be some noise or visible movement? Both DS and PS are inop. The DS is missing the white cap but the PS has the cap but I don't hear or see any attempted movement when I attempt to move fore or aft on either side.

looks like the plug place is out of stock temporarily

thanks for the 411 guys, i was able to pull a plug off the passenger seat and put it on the drivers side for now so I can drive.

this place never ceases to amaze me with the info. Cheers Dave in Lafayette, CO

You need to replace the plastic gear on each seat. I had the same problem and changed the gear and now both seats work as new.

To those that are troubleshooting this problem I have a couple of questions:

When you say the gears are stripped, should there be some noise or visible movement? Both DS and PS are inop. The DS is missing the white cap but the PS has the cap but I don't hear or see any attempted movement when I attempt to move fore or aft on either side.

Newbie just fixed drivers seat

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I just got my 97 LC two weeks ago. First thing I did was mess with the power seat and got it stuck all the way forward. What to do at 8 P.M. 4 hours from home and all alone? I ended up buying a $5 socket set from a discount store and unbolted the seat to move it back. Used the socket wrench to balance the seat on. So, thanks for the info on the seat. I just did the gear and cap job today with the Gamiviti parts. Worked perfectly. I also got a car wash that night after the seat fiasco and got about two cups of water in my lap during both passes of the auto wash sprayer. Things were not going well. I found the thread on that and it turns out that cleaning out the leaves from around the sunroof was the fix. I did buy some 10 gauge wire to check the drain holes and they were clean. Seems the previous owners left leaves up there for years. Geez, good thing they kept the truck in covered parking! Thanks again!!!:cheers:

Last edited:
Power Seat Problems

I had a hard time finding out how to manually move my power seat back in my 2005 Dodge Ram pickup and decided to post after figuring it out since I couldn't find anything directly relating.

I've included two pics looking at the driver's seat from outside the car. In the pic's you'll notice a white plastic type of square screw head fitting that can be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise using an "S2" square head bit. On my truck, counter moved the seat forward, clockwise moved the seat back. I used a power screwdriver to speed the process up but I think my problem was a bad contact so I would manually move the plastic piece first to insure there wasn't some type of obstruction and therefore cause you to strip it out. In addition, I would make sure the seat moves equally on both rails so as to not get the seat out of alignment and jam it up.

As a side note, I couldn't find this info in the owner's manual and am a bit concerned as this could lead to a safety issue if you were so tall that you couldn't get in or too short and couldn't reach the pedals. :mad:
IMG00076-20101205-2013.jpg
IMG00079-20101205-2014.jpg

Seat Stuck in Forward Position - Plug not Missing?

I have the passenger side seat stuck all the way forward problem. All the seat functions work fine - up, down, tilt, and it will go forward still but won't go back. It is actually not all the way forward yet....

When / if I move it forward (won't go backward) the seat seems to move just fine and not bind or move one side better than the other (stutter).

The white cap is in place ( I haven't checked tightness).

Questions: Is is possible that it is a loose cap? Is there only one cap?

Anyone have a diagnosis? Is it the little white gear piece?

Thanks,

Jared

RE: Seat Stuck in Forward Position - Plug not Missing?

Hey Jared,

Yes tighten up the cap if you can. The drivers side is easy to get to from the door's side. Use a large flat-head screwdriver or a dime to lightly tighten. The passenger side screw is on the console side making a little tougher to get to.

I just went through all of this and have discovered a quick fix that works in interim until you order your 2 gears and 2 screws ($40). BTW. order the gears and screws asap.

1. get the old screws as tight as you can WITHOUT stripping them.

2. stand on your running board (if you have them), or ladder and look down at the seat. you will notice that one side, right or left will be further forward than the other.

3. whichever side is out of balance, use vice grips to turn the long screw on the side rail until the seat is level. your seats are probably jammed to one side, binding up the whole works, mine was.

4. start moving the forward and back switch back and forth and your seat should semi cooperate for now.

5. Get it set where you want it, then unplug the power harnesses.

6. 4 days later, your gears and screws are in your mailbox.

7. Spend the 2 hours as outlined here on MUD taking the seats out and rebuilding the gears/screws on the bottom corners of the seats. They do a great job detailing this above and throughout the forums.

8. I've had my new screws and gears in for a while now with no issue. I stress tested it back and forth many times. The seats feel more secure now.

Hope it helps sir,

Joe

tool-less quick fix

My outboard passenger seat drive quit working. would go forward, but when going back, only the inside jack screw would turn, binding the seat. outside would make grinding noises but not turn.

I was able to reach under the outboard side of the passenger seat and grab the threaded rod with my hand and turn it a few turns while powering the inside track back. It would then bind, so I would tap it forward enough to unbind it and repeat process.

It takes 10 or 15 minutes, getting your fingertips a little greasy, and minimal cursing to get it about 4/5 of the way back.

I just left it there and told people not to move the seat up. Planned on fixing it, but sold the 80 before I got around to it.

JW

Resurrecting an old thread here just to keep the info. My seat is doing the same. Working on it now.

Just finished mine and a buddies. They quit at the same time. I strongly recommend the little bit of heat on the gear when pressing it on.

The passenger's side power seat won't move. I presume it's the plastic gear that moves the seat back and forth that's stripped. I've ordered the replacement gears that should fix the problem.
However in the meantime the seat is all the way forward and it makes it uncomfortable for whoever is sitting in that seat.
Is there a way I can manually move the seat back ??
I have a 1996 lx 450 suv . I moved my passenger seat all the way forward and then it would not go back. I asked my dealer to move it back manually but the service rep said it could not be moved back and the whole seat would have to be replaced. I complained to lexus customer service. They contacted the dealership. The Lexus Customer Satisfaction rep call me back and said a diagnostic had to be done which costs 569 dollars. The rep asked me if I had bought more than one lexus and I said this was the second one. She said Lexus Satisfaction would give me 250 dollars off what I paid. When the diagnostic was done I was told the seat track was no longer good and would cost 3100 dollars and labor. They asked me if I wanted it moved back manually. They used a drill and a bit to move it all the way back. hey told me if I moved it forward it would get stuck again. There is a video on youtube that shows how to move it back with an electric drill. I had some rewards on my credit card abou 13 dollars. The whole cost was about 195 dollars. Good luck! I can email the you tube video to anyone who needs it. Honeylamb9@gmail.com CFerri

Are you guys actually doing this work yourselves replacing with these gears/screws?

My screw popped off on the driver side after making some grinding noises. Seat doesn't move forward or backward now. Sweet.

Yeah, we're actually doing it ourselves.

You can too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom