Possible water leak? HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I was in the middle of building my sleep platform in the back of my 96 lx450. When I noticed that the carpet was a little damp. Going to clean the top of the channel of the weather stripping and take a hose to it. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA

C10783F8-6238-4696-AA1E-41C62406E762.jpeg

Rear sunroof drains could be clogged, trim at bottom of rear slider windows could be leaking, possibly leaking roof (happened to me, couple rust holes under cracked paint)

When that area was damp in mine, it was the aforementioned roof and sunroof drains. Ran on top of headliner, came down between rear grab handle and rearmost pillar, down to the floor. Lots of threads detailing each leak scenario. See if you can backtrack any water sign

From what I’ve found so far is the Red color is where the water is falling from/coming from. The Blue color is where the water is landing. That is driver side 3rd inner fender.

3D8484A4-3683-4ABF-BB44-96BC041DBEDB.jpeg

The belt molding at the bottom of the rear quarter windows (top of quarter panel outside) have 4-5 holes for clips that hold the molding to the quarter panel. Each clip originally had a very thin gasket which deteriorates with age, and when that happens water can leak through those holes. Most tends to go into the quarter panel cavities, but IME it can also trickle down behind the cargo area panels, over the wheel well hump, into the rear cargo area floor as well as the passenger foot wells.

Someone else just in the last day or two posted up photos showing significant rust had developed under the quarter panel window moldings, which also could cause a leak into the cargo area. Looking at the photos you just posted up that scenario doesn't appear to be your problem.

Last edited:
This is the passenger side. Red is where the water is coming from, Blue is where water is landing/coming from. The water is coming from the inside of the circled area, and is dripping down into the fender well. Also couple spots where water is running down the outer fender well.

7AF1ABAD-7AA5-4A9E-A4B6-785CF5EB978B.jpeg

This is the driver side 3rd row window. Water is coming through and puddling right there. These are the only signs I have seen so far.

90902852-7799-464F-9EF9-09C5A7A48847.jpeg

The belt molding at the bottom of the rear quarter windows (top of quarter panel outside) have 4-5 holes for clips that hold the molding to the quarter panel. Each clip originally had a very thin gasket which deteriorates with age, and when that happens water can leak through those holes. Most tends to go into the quarter panel cavities, but IME it can also trickle down behind the cargo area panels, over the wheel well hump, into the rear cargo area floor as well as the passenger foot wells.

Someone else just in the last day or two posted up photos showing significant rust had developed under the quarter panel window moldings, which also could cause a leak into the cargo area. Looking at the photos you just posted up that scenario doesn't appear to be your problem.
These clips you’re talking about, is that on the outside or inside of the rig? I believe I think you’re talking about the outside ones, but would like to confirm.

The clips are hidden under the molding (which is outside the vehicle).

Take some photos (or look up) of the inside very top of the quarter panel cavities ie: behind where the cargo panels go, underneath the bottom of
the windows in the cavity.

You will see the small clip ends poking down; should see some stains
if they've been leaking.

Others have had the internal frame of the quarter windows rust out.

Last edited:
The clips are hidden under the molding (which is outside the vehicle).

Take some photos (or look up) of the inside very top of the quarter panel cavities ie: behind where the cargo panels go, look up inside.

You will see the small clip ends poking down; should see some stains
if they've been leaking.

Others have had the internal frame of the quarter windows rust out.
These ones here, correct?

DE529667-4357-48E5-959E-624D1A710252.jpeg

Yes, that's them. You could use your garden hose to try to find the leak.
Maybe try to get water on the molding only, but not into the window frame above. Then try soaking the window frame next.

Yes, that's them. You could use your garden hose to try to find the leak.
Maybe try to get water on the molding only, but not into the window frame above. Then try soaking the window frame next.
Okay I see, use the hose to spray water on the bottom side of the the window?

Try just to get the molding wet first, water can get under/around the belt molding (below the window frame gasket) .

Another source of a leak is behind the air vent louver, there's a foam gasket that can deteriorate, but don't rule out the sunroof. You can test that also with the garden hose, work from the bottom up to the top.

Another source of a leak is behind the air vent louver, there's a foam gasket that can deteriorate, but don't rule out the sunroof. You can test that also with the garden hose, work from the bottom up to the top.
When I 1st started testing to see where the leaks were coming from. We were only spraying the hatch and the 2 side windows in the 3rd. It is not currently raining here.

Try just to get the molding wet first, water can get under/around the belt molding (below the window frame gasket) .

I think that was the culprit, I took it off and looks like the seals where those clips go are basically gone. Is this what you were meaning?

18C36C4F-7025-46D8-BBB9-51002F46805D.jpeg

That's one source of a leak. Some people seal up those holes with RTV but that makes it very difficult if not impossible to remove the molding in the future without damaging it. I used a tiny button of non-hardening 3M strip caulk instead; it can be messy when applying it but if you're careful it's hidden under the molding. There's also electricians rubber tape; a tiny bit of that
over the hole first, then push the clip through.

If you could find an very thin replacement gasket material (?1/64") that might work also.

Last edited:
Another possible source of leaks are the weep holes in the window tracks get clogged up. Instead of draining thru the weep holes, the water seeps into the inside of the window. The pics you posted showed the weepholes could be gummed up. There are a few weep holes along each track. I used Qtips to clean the tracks and the picks to unclog the weep holes.
IMG_7608[1].JPG

IMG_7607[1].JPG

Another possible source of leaks are the weep holes in the window tracks get clogged up. Instead of draining thru the weep holes, the water seeps into the inside of the window. The pics you posted showed the weepholes could be gummed up. There are a few weep holes along each track. I used Qtips to clean the tracks and the picks to unclog the weep holes.
View attachment 2489921
View attachment 2489923
That’s the 3rd row window? Are you talking about where your tool is jammed into? Just trying to get a better idea where exactly. I think one of the leaks was the clips for the trim piece below the window. I believe I have another leak coming from the trim piece behind the window on the outside. Where you have to take off that 8mm bolt from the inside.

Yes, that's the 3rd row sliding windows. I had sealed the trim piece clips but I still had seepage from the clogged window weep holes.

Hi everyone! I wanted to post an update on my water leak, good news and bad news. One thing I just learned that i didn't know I was doing wrong, is when I was testing for leaks, I was using pressurized water. I was using a hose with a normal nozzle and spraying the 80 down. I recently replaced the louver trim pieces with brand new ones and with new seals. I've had them on for about 3 days now. We're getting a decent amount of rain in the PNW, yesterday and today I checked, and no leaks really. Very happy about that because I have been feeling defeated about this. I did notice a very SMALL leak while checking. Down below is the best pic I could get of it. I believe its coming from that white clip thing, what are your guy's thoughts? Also what would that be?
Red is where I think its coming from
Blue is the way the water is running

D0FEFD72-E2A4-4BCD-BCB0-DE9EBF5964E2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom