Portable Air Compressors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heat kills compressors. That being said, ARB compressors are not really designed for tire inflation. They'll work but they'll get hotter, slower and shorten lifespan. You can use multitude of electric air compressors that are out there right now, eg. Quickair 2, 3, Big Red, other Thomas, Viair, etc.. Just keep in mind that the current draw and size the wires accordingly. Personally, I prefer Sanden or York for oba. I'd lilke to mount a Sanden in my 80 when the time comes. The mechanical units do a nice job running tools and inflating yours and your buddies tires quite well. CO2 tanks are very fast for inflation and running air tools. This is the cleanest method for oba but can be pricey. Unless you get creative and piece together the bottle, regulator and hose yourself.

bailey, you are in a dream world if you think you will get it all done for $200 :flipoff2: not with paying for the parts. It is a good idea but way complicated compared to CO2. if the truck does not run then you have no air, unless you have a tank which will hold only a fraction of what a CO2 tank will hold and take up as much room.

I have decided to switch over to propane for the tires. Then I can wrap them in socks and use them to cool my beer at 60 MPH while my trailer of sand will put out any fires I leave. I think I got that thread right?!

[quote author=dd113 link=board=14;threadid=6080;start=msg50489#msg50489 date=1066096893]
bailey, you are in a dream world if you think you will get it all done for $200 :flipoff2: not with paying for the parts. It is a good idea but way complicated compared to CO2. if the truck does not run then you have no air, unless you have a tank which will hold only a fraction of what a CO2 tank will hold and take up as much room.
[/quote]
We'll see Dan, I bet i can get it pumping this weekend for under $100. :flipoff2: If my engine's not running, I've got bigger problems than airing up my tires is the way I look at it.

just messing with you :flipoff2: give me a call

Hltopper- I know of a local(phoenix) LC owner who has 4 of them and looking to sell. they fit to ARB bumper.

Chris

[quote author=dd113 link=board=14;threadid=6080;start=msg50906#msg50906 date=1066171616]
just messing with you :flipoff2: give me a call
[/quote]
Ohhh yeah its pumpin. Total cost:
York:Free
Brackets:$70
Hoses/belt and quick disconnect-$20
:D :flipoff2:

i just wired a compressor from a lincon mark VIII suspention to my batt, with a cut off switch and have it soft conected to a tank in the back of my 40. takes some time to fill but no problems yet ;)

Regarding CO2 and the psi changing with temperature. For every 17 degrees of temperature change there is a change of about 1 psi. This is usually not a big deal with offroading. I also offroad race and we use nitrogen. The main reason is our shocks use nitrogen. You can also run your air tools on nitrogen just fine. It costs about the same to fill up too. Since air is mostly composed of nitrogen there is not much of a psi fluctuation. As far as I know a CO2 tank and a nitrogen tank are the same thing, the only difference is the regulator needed. I know the nascar guys use nitrogen due to the fact that 1 psi can make a big difference on the track.

This I do know pretty well.
your co2 filling procedure is to purge tank and take an empty reading on scale then add desired amount of co2 +-.2 of a pound. reason being when you disconnect you will lose some content.
teh primary difference between co2 and nitrogen tanks is their pressure capacity. nitrogen tanks are tested (if memory serves) to 3800 psi, co2 tanks only need to be tested to about 1800 psi. hence your co2 tank from a welidn supply outfit might be a retired nitro tank. teh valves are different and the safetys blow off at a different pressure but that is pretty much the difference. you can run air tools off of c02 just not for as long as the ambient temp of co2 in gas is coler than nitrogen and it will freeze up over time.
Be careful in trying to convert scba or air tanks to co2 as the retired fiber wrapped tanks dont deal with temp fluctuations as well as an aluminum or steel tanks.
as for me I am trying to line up and air compressor (think ac comp or similar and remove my smog pump and add it into the belt phase on my truck. that way I can switch it on and go just need to figure out a holding tank.......
Dave

I've posted this in one of the other threads, but this seems to be a better place. This isn't something I know much about.

Is it better to have a compressor run to fill a tank vs just running the compressor direct (eg for filling tires)? Why? Christo mentioned the sliders can handle ~ 3gal of air - so what does this do for you (ie can I inflate 4 tires from 20psi to 33?). What's the impact of filling the tank with different pressures?

Cheers, Hugh

higher overall output volume. if your compressor for instance puts out 9 cfm per minute then it should take about 55 seconds to go from 20-35 psi (guessing her eon a 33") the advantage of a tank is that the compressor builds head pressure I would try to keep this around the 120# mark wich would shorten the time to fill the tire in half. that is the real advantage to one. speed and good luck running an air impact hammer with a straight compressor you are going to be there for a while and have inconsistent torque output. I think the 3+- pounds in the slider is not very adequate. I was thinking of mounting a 8 gallon box under the truck next to the transfer case (think scollaros compressor mount box) I like the idea now I jsut need to justify needing it to myself.
Dave

just a worry wart note for those running CO2/nitrogen for tools, there was a mechanic who died running air tools off of nitrogen wile working in a fuel tank, I cant really think of a way that could happen in around a cruiser (maybe working inside this winter with doors/windows closed? Possibly wile working in a low area where it can pool?) but keep in mind that the gas coming out of that tool has no oxygen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom