Pointer Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdc1

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all. My wife and I are contemplating adding a second dog to our home. We currently have a 4yo Male German Shepherd that is an alpha mentality. Our family lives on 5.5 acres in the suburbs and have other pets on the neighborhood ranging from goats and chickens to cats and small toy breed dogs.

I belong to a hunting lease in NE OH that has release pheasants and chukars. Our DNR also releases birds on the public land. I also have access to land in the UP of MI that has grouse on it.

The two breeds that we are looking at are GWH/Drahthaar or a llewellyn setter. After reading up on the GWH/Drahthaar, the only unknowns that we have are their potentially aggressive personalities towards other dogs and cats and small pets. I do not want to bring another dog into the house that might not mix well with my GSD.

The llewellyn is attractive because if their smaller size and that they are less of an all purpose breed(cats). I have no desire to duck hunt but do get into some cold weather and snow.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have had field labs in the past and am excited to potentially get a pointer.

You may want to also consider a field setter. They are typically a bit smaller than a typical english setter but can be stellar bird/grouse dogs. I have seen several in action both in field trials and in the grouse woods. They are certainly more show than go, less drool too.

You may want to also consider a field setter. They are typically a bit smaller than a typical english setter but can be stellar bird/grouse dogs. I have seen several in action both in field trials and in the grouse woods. They are certainly more show than go, less drool too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. I have been looking at the French brittany as well.

We don't see many French Brit's around though a friend has one that is a great dog. My avatar is our 36 pound Brittany, Tucker or Gamblers "Knows When To Run". There are some of the best Brit's in the country around Ohio, norther PA and Michigan. My old Brit just passed a few months ago after 15 years so we are looking for the next member of the family.

We don't see many French Brit's around though a friend has one that is a great dog. My avatar is our 36 pound Brittany, Tucker or Gamblers "Knows When To Run". There are some of the best Brit's in the country around Ohio, norther PA and Michigan. My old Brit just passed a few months ago after 15 years so we are looking for the next member of the family.

I just noticed that you are in MI. Do you have any breeder recommendations? I am willing to drive for the right dog.

Which breed? Glad to give a recommendation, nothing better than a good bird dog. We run field trials regularly and the folks that are typically involved (that I know anyway) are serious about dogs and real hunting. Our handler/trainer is located just south of your area in Nova Ohio. We will be dropping off Tuck for his last round of pre-season training/tune up before the fall trial season.

Which breed? Glad to give a recommendation, nothing better than a good bird dog. We run field trials regularly and the folks that are typically involved (that I know anyway) are serious about dogs and real hunting. Our handler/trainer is located just south of your area in Nova Ohio. We will be dropping off Tuck for his last round of pre-season training/tune up before the fall trial season.

The Britts. Looks like we are about an hour from Nova.

I will find out who is having litters right now or pups. Pedigree is important, we are looking ourselves to see what is out there (we are looking for a bitch to breed Tuck who is a CH, FC, AFC). I know at least 5 ethical breeders in the area it just depends on what they are breeding right now. All of them have great lines and a history of producing solid pups, the current hot local studs are Tucker & his brother Joey (2X national gun dog champ). The nice thing about Brits is they are just sweet dogs.

If you don't have a lot of experience training, Jesse Chapman at Smoke Rise Kennels is the most ethical, straight handler trainer we have had the pleasure to know. I think Tucker likes him better than us. We do most of our own training but Jess takes it to the next level. Nothing like a fully broke dog!

I also noticed that I am watching your build thread. I have a restored '74.

IMGP4039.JPG

I will find out who is having litters right now or pups. Pedigree is important, we are looking ourselves to see what is out there (we are looking for a bitch to breed Tuck who is a CH, FC, AFC). I know at least 5 ethical breeders in the area it just depends on what they are breeding right now. All of them have great lines and a history of producing solid pups, the current hot local studs are Tucker & his brother Joey (2X national gun dog champ). The nice thing about Brits is they are just sweet dogs.

If you don't have a lot of experience training, Jesse Chapman at Smoke Rise Kennels is the most ethical, straight handler trainer we have had the pleasure to know. I think Tucker likes him better than us. We do most of our own training but Jess takes it to the next level. Nothing like a fully broke dog!

I also noticed that I am watching your build thread. I have a restored '74.

View attachment 1288782

Thanks for the advice. I dabbled in labs back in high school but always wanted a pointer. I'm in the beginning stages and was thinking that a mid to late winter litter is what I am looking for. I think that I might start with some reputable breeders and then choose a breed. My GSD is pretty big and balls to the wall so the wife and I are looking to stay at the smaller size spectrum.

There are several members here who have Vizlsas...

As a kid, I grew up with them. The disposition makes them a great family pooch with the benefit of being one of the best pointer/retriever breeds out there.

Vizsla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom