PO171 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, i know this has been beaten to death over the years but....
I've got a 97 with 107K miles that has a CEL with a PO171. I should mention that I live at 7000' elev. So far I've tried or have replaced recently; new plugs, wires, dist cap + rotor, new factory air filter, checking all connections, replacing fuel filter, replacing O2 sensors(with factory ones), replacing EFi relay, cleaning MAF sensor and pulling out what little hair I have left. Some of the symptoms are: hard starting when engine is warm (cranks over for a long time before firing), down on power to the point that when driving up one of the hills on the way home it feels as if it not getting any fuel and will die on occaision (hasn't yet) also when reving the engine a little at idle there is a small but noticable hesitation/miss between 1500-2200rpm. this vehicle does have 315/75 tires but I installed 488 gears in it when the tires were installed. I'm a diehard old gear head but my experience with all these sensors and computers is somewhat limited. If I can't get it running like it should before long, I have a feeling the wife is going to want it gone for a more reliable DD. HELP!!:confused:

Last edited:
I had a PO171, tried numerous remedies/suggestions found on MUD. to no avail.
The problems I had were, hard to start when hot, lack of power, then got worse to the point where it would not want to start when cold and ran like crap for about the first 5 minutes, lots of backfiring.
I replaced the fuel pump unit with a used one and it has run great ever since.
My fuel gauge also started working.
I had removed and reinstalled the original fuel pump prior to replacing it and all the connections looked good.
Maybe you have a bad pump like I did.

Skiater.

Understand your woes. Have been fighting a misfire for months now. Replaced all the usual: dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter (godawful PITA!), etc. P0701 would sometimes but not always trigger.

One Mud member solved his problem by going to the colder NGK plugs. Others have found the main engine wiring harness to blame, it is routed right next to the EGR pipe and get hot enough to melt wires..

My ' 96 runs fine now. I suspect it was an injector problem. Used Chemtool B-12 as a cleaner and that seemed to solve it.

Good luck. Let us know what fixes it.

This is the code I had when my air intake tube was cracked. Check your tube between the MAF Air sensor and the throttle body.

Good points above. You may also want to clean the MAF air sensor. That helped my '96 run better.

PO171 basically says that the ECU has reached it limits to compensate for a lean condition. It's likely a fueling problem. Do you have an OBDII scanner?

Yeah, I have a cheap scanner but it does manage to read the 171 and clear the CEL. The CEL will stay off for about 15 miles after clearing. I also noticed this evening that it had a fuel odor around the engine compartment that seemed more noticeable on the right near the vapor canister. The exhaust also smells kind of rich:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom