Please delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No I didn't, not sure if Peter has ever ventured into this shady swamp donkey section, his 79 expedition truck is almost nothing Toyota, so maybe the GM military truck body is the last piece to make it to Peters final approval ;)

Hey Johnathan, I seen on the island page you posted about a trip up the Canol, how far did you make it, how was the road, any neat pictures from the trip?

Yeah, right to the end of N Canol plus about a mile. I drove Dempster as well, had a great trip. I will make a photobucket of them soon. I have a couple of pics on the 'expedition' forum 'Let's see your Toyota Expedition Rig. And a couple in the 60 series 'Camping with your 60/62" thread, this has two really beautiful pics on it.
Road was rough, but not technical. Scenery and solitude that made me want to stay forever. I've already booked time off to go back next year. iPad won't let me add pics here right now

Last edited:
First pic is Dempster Hwy, coming south just past Ft McPherson. The next is a sign explaining the N Canol Trail from this point on, it's 245 km in. There is a mandatory game check for all hunters there, (when its open). When I arrived, I was the last man that far out. The season was over and no one east of me all the way to the Mackenzie R. A very lonely feeling, so l went another mile. The next two are the trail, as it crosses a flowing water system, about 40" deep in the second pic. Common sense kicked in there. If I break or get too stuck I'm solo and it's a long 40+ km walk until I would expect to meet anyone else. Can't begin to explain the beauty and open space up there. Hope these are what you were looking for. J

P1000272.JPG
P1000418.JPG
P1000421.JPG
P1000422.JPG

No I didn't, not sure if Peter has ever ventured into this shady swamp donkey section, his 79 expedition truck is almost nothing Toyota, so maybe the GM military truck body is the last piece to make it to Peters final approval ;)

GM, I assumed that was a dodge in your pic?

I think your dad's 75 looked best with that wood box on the back, he should have stuck with that instead of the big camper.

How's your back?

Yeah, right to the end of N Canol plus about a mile. I drove Dempster as well, had a great trip. I will make a photobucket of them soon. I have a couple of pics on the 'expedition' forum 'Let's see your Toyota Expedition Rig. And a couple in the 60 series 'Camping with your 60/62" thread, this has two really beautiful pics on it.
Road was rough, but not technical. Scenery and solitude that made me want to stay forever. I've already booked time off to go back next year. iPad won't let me add pics here right now

Sweet, when did you go? That trail is on my list one day, just like hearing stories about it and seeing cruiser pictures in remote areas ;) Thanks for sharing.

GM, I assumed that was a dodge in your pic?

I think your dad's 75 looked best with that wood box on the back, he should have stuck with that instead of the big camper.

How's your back?

No the power wagon had goofier fenders and a more sloped front hood (like the Studebakers), plus was only a one tone I think. The GM was a 1.5 ton and had dually rear end (the one I posted had outrageously big tires ;) the front fenders are more like the landcruiser 40 series, and it pretty much was the work horse that built the Alaska highway, they had a dump truck version and a few diffenent body styles, ever since I moved up here and read stuff about the highway, I sort of got a liking to that truck, hopefully one day might get one.

My dad still puts that box on for hunting, but this might have been his last year like that as he is talking about being too old to hang out in a wall tent for two-three weeks and might just come up to stay at my place and go for overnight trips with the camper on.

Back is good, almost all better, barely feel it now, so I think by Christmas I should have little side affects ;)

Sweet, when did you go? That trail is on my list one day, just like hearing stories about it and seeing cruiser pictures in remote areas ;) Thanks for sharing.
Last two weeks of Sept and first week Oct. I feel the same way every time I see your '1st and 2nd gear...' thread. I'd like to come up and run
that one too. To be honest, I almost came through FSJ, but my mission was Yukon so I took Stewart Cassiar.
I am coming back next year, so I'll let you know. Glad you like the pics. I will get settled in a week or so and get everything posted. J

Yeah keep checking back, as I think Charla is talking about making the CCC run there this next year, although it's not the same as it used to be, the first 10km of the 30 are missing their hard technical sections with lots of pucker factor because of the mine exploration that's happened there in the last few years. Don't get me wrong, still beautiful in there, and the last 20km are still very remote and grown in, but the exploration/hardcore part of the adventure is somewhat gone now. ;( We will still try to get some of it back though as we press high into the mountain pass to the east on one of the off shoots on the trail, but for now we just go in there to get away from the cell service, enjoy some piece and quite away from lots of people and enjoy the natural beauty of the place.

That sounds good, same reason I go to get away from the electronic world. J

No the power wagon had goofier fenders and a more sloped front hood (like the Studebakers), plus was only a one tone I think. The GM was a 1.5 ton and had dually rear end (the one I posted had outrageously big tires ;) the front fenders are more like the landcruiser 40 series, and it pretty much was the work horse that built the Alaska highway, they had a dump truck version and a few diffenent body styles, ever since I moved up here and read stuff about the highway, I sort of got a liking to that truck, hopefully one day might get one.

My dad still puts that box on for hunting, but this might have been his last year like that as he is talking about being too old to hang out in a wall tent for two-three weeks and might just come up to stay at my place and go for overnight trips with the camper on.

Back is good, almost all better, barely feel it now, so I think by Christmas I should have little side affects ;)

interesting, always thought they were power wagons in the old alaska hwy pics.

Camper or wall tent both sound pretty comfortable. My dads setup with the canvas tent stuck to the back of his truck makes for a good setup for a base camp. Warmth and dryness of the woodstove in the tent, canopy stays closed for cooler sleeping temps and a mouse-free zone. Think he'll use it for a while yet until the setup/teardown of it gets to be too much for solo trips, which he says he won't be doing anymore. Didn't do a trip north this year, probably next year.

100_9097a.jpg

^^I like the look of that. I have been sketching an idea similar to that for my utility trailer,
using RTT and big 'overtarp' to create a base camp and still be able to drive away for exploring.
Not quite ready to go the enclosed w/ stove route yet. Maybe when I really want to stay for a while.

Enough with the jibber jabber already. More pictures, less typey typey.

And yes, CCC is Peacing out next year. Website hopefully updated by Jan 1.

image.jpeg

better than a bunny with a pancake on its head...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom