Plasma Cutter Selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Good afternoon Gents!

I'm looking to pick up a plasma cutter and was hoping for some first-hand experience advice. I have a good amount of experience with the Hypertherm Powermax 30 as a couple of guys in my local TLCA chapter, ONSC, have them. Operating on 110v and 220v is a big plus and they seem to cut clean! However, finding one used for a good deal is proving difficult and a new one is expensive.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Products/Handheld_cutting/Systems/powermax30XP.jsp#0

On the other hand, I purchased a used Hobart Ironman 210 last year and absolutely love it. I've used that welder for sheetmetal and welding thicker gauge materials and have zero complaints. Hobart also makes plasma cutters and has a factory refurb program that allows me to get a like-new plasma, with a factory warranty, for about the same price I can find a used Hypertherm for. I'm looking specifically at the Hobart AirForce 500i:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AirForce_500i.pdf

http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servlet/the-Refurbished-Hobart-Welders/Categories

I'm putting this thread up to see if anyone has hands-on experience with either of these cutters, or simply advice in what to look for in a plasma. Hopefully this thread will serve as a reference for people in the future.

Thanks!

I have used pretty much all types of cutters... Miller, Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm, ESAB, Simadre (ebay special) etc... I have enjoyed all the Hypertherms I've used and owned. This past upgrade I jumped from the Powermax 30 to the 65. I like the consumables and the longevity of them and the price. I've been using the same consumable set up for the past 3 months (free hand) and they are still good. You see how much I've been cutting.

Hypertherm, although a bit pricey.... Is my choice and I highly recommend.

J

I'm probably going with a Hypertherm Powermax 30 or 45. I've missed out on a couple of ebay auctions (stupid sniping program didn't work right). Most used HT plasmas are still pricey.

Also, you might want include Thermal Dynamics and Miller/Hobart.

I also have had great results with my Hobart 187 welder. I just like the additional features and reliability that Hypertherm brings.

I have an ebay 220V, and am very glad for the pilot arc feature. Dual voltage didn't seem as common a couple years ago. Wish they were.

This one seems about half the price of what I paid (reserve not met). For the occasional use I use it, I don't see a need to buy a name brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-SALE-Lo...039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3395c3bc6f

I'm working on starting up a side-gig doing LC work. My only concern with one of the off-brand units is that whatever I buy will see regular use cutting thin and thick metals.

I have used pretty much all types of cutters... Miller, Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm, ESAB, Simadre (ebay special) etc... I have enjoyed all the Hypertherms I've used and owned. This past upgrade I jumped from the Powermax 30 to the 65. I like the consumables and the longevity of them and the price. I've been using the same consumable set up for the past 3 months (free hand) and they are still good. You see how much I've been cutting.

Hypertherm, although a bit pricey.... Is my choice and I highly recommend.

J

Thanks J :D They certainly are more expensive, but it seems worth it. I wish I could play with one of the Hobarts before plunking down the $$ on the Hypertherm though.

I'm probably going with a Hypertherm Powermax 30 or 45. I've missed out on a couple of ebay auctions (stupid sniping program didn't work right). Most used HT plasmas are still pricey.

Also, you might want include Thermal Dynamics and Miller/Hobart.

I also have had great results with my Hobart 187 welder. I just like the additional features and reliability that Hypertherm brings.

The second plasma listed above is a hobart. A couple of friends have the Powermax 30 so that was my first choice, but was considering the Hobart because I like my Hobart Ironman 210 so much. They scored big by finding theirs at local pawn shops. No idea how they lucked out so good.

Most of the used HT plasmas I see on ebay are being sold by pawnshops. I need to drive around town to see what I can find :)

Don't forget to check Pirate4x4's classifieds. Some good deals come up from time to time.

Johnny, run by your LWS and ask who is up for cutter/welder renewals in their distribution area. Most of the larger shops buy up or lease, so to speak, their machines and cutters. They keep between one and three years and trade back in for newer equipment, pending their agreement. You can usually get a machine that has been maintained by the LWS' techs and are usually in great condition for about 30 to 50 cents on the dollar.

Make a few calls.

J

Went to go order the refurb Hobart only to find that they have zero in stock. I speculate that due to the fact that they're refurbs, there is no known restock time.

Ended up just ordering the Miller Spectrum 375 X-Treme welder from http://cyberweld.com. Was browsing around and for another $100, I got a more compact plasma, with a carrying / storage case, with more amperage output than the comparable Hobart model. It should be here in a week or two.

I'm pumped, I love big boy tools :bounce:

I just picked up a Hypertherm Powermax 800 older 50amp unit and its awesome. It had a brand new lead and torch ($430) complete box of consumables ($160-200.00). It cuts like butter. Had to put a cord on it but no big deal. Got for a song.

I just picked up a Hypertherm Powermax 800 older 50amp unit and its awesome. It had a brand new lead and torch ($430) complete box of consumables ($160-200.00). It cuts like butter. Had to put a cord on it but no big deal. Got for a song.

Used, right? Haven't been able to find anything used in my area in the past month or so.

It came in the mail this weekend! Came with a set of replacement consumables and everything that was advertised.

IMAG1971.jpg

IMAG1972.jpg

IMAG1973.jpg

IMAG1974.jpg

Used, right? Haven't been able to find anything used in my area in the past month or so.

It came in the mail this weekend! Came with a set of replacement consumables and everything that was advertised.

IMAG1971.jpg

IMAG1972.jpg

IMAG1973.jpg

IMAG1974.jpg

Thats a fine looking set up, Years of service there. Good buy Johnny.

J

you're gonna cut your foot off.... :)

you made a good purchase, if you ever decide to upgrade, you can easily sell that

Well turns out the Hypertherm 800 I bought was messed up and I think the dude I bought it from knew it. I made him bring me my money back for it... I'm surprised he did, but he did. So now I'm on the look out for another one. Something newer with available parts if needed. They didn't support that model anymore because it was so old.

Well turns out the Hypertherm 800 I bought was messed up and I think the dude I bought it from knew it. I made him bring me my money back for it... I'm surprised he did, but he did. So now I'm on the look out for another one. Something newer with available parts if needed. They didn't support that model anymore because it was so old.

Jas, look for a Hypertherm PowerMax 45... They are a bit pricey, but will serve your needs well for YEARS... Like I said above... ^^ check with the LWS for returned leased equipment inventory...

Just my .02

Jason

Picked this up used today after missing out on a hyper therm 30 on Craigslist

It's 4 years old but barely used. Came with a circle cut jig, case of consumables/ tips, carrying case and a nice air dryer.

Paid $800 for it.

Fair price? I hope it works well and doesn't have any issues, I always cross my fingers when buying tools off C-List

I'll test it tomorrow and make sure everything is in working order.

Best part is I sold a bunch of clutter around the house on C-List over the last couple weeks to pay for it

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417315569.028262.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417315581.111104.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417315594.144431.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom