Pinion leak - vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi gang,

have a 94, locked, with 196K miles.

Started getting a pretty steady vibration at moderate speed (on acceleration from about 25-45mph) and also have a bit of squeal coming from the front pinion/output shaft. its not horrendous vibration and it subsides as soon as i ease off the gas. the squeal is only heard at low speed coming into my garage. so nothing too crazy.

i figure at this mileage its time to replace the ujoints (i did just greased them) and tend to the pinion bearing and seal which is leaking pretty good. that said, it may be a week or so before i can get all the parts and get the time to do it.

am i running any big risks driving this thing as is for a bit? just small errands? i maybe drive 100 miles every two weeks (working from home is helpful : )

i certainly dont want to damage the front tcase and just worried about a bearing failure. I've been keeping an eye on the fluid in the front tcase which i've actually drained and filled twice fairly recently so its fresh fluid.

Did you grease the slip yoke? Does grease fling out past the yoke after driving?
I had a plugged slip yoke that was plugged. Didn't know it till I spent $2000 that the yoke was plugged. The plugged yoke put pressure on the t-case causing the bearings to get hot. The heat locked up the viscous coupler thus I bought a new T-case thinking it was bad.

Did you grease the slip yoke? Does grease fling out past the yoke after driving?
I had a plugged slip yoke that was plugged. Didn't know it till I spent $2000 that the yoke was plugged. The plugged yoke put pressure on the t-case causing the bearings to get hot. The heat locked up the viscous coupler thus I bought a new T-case thinking it was bad.

I did grease the slip yoke. seems like a bit flung out after a bit of driving. is that a potential overgrease? i'm going to go out there now and remove the zerks as it seems like that is the best test to determine if it shoots out at me. just love a greasy saturday.

sounds like i may do well to go ahead and take it off and clean it up and start with all fresh grease.

Removing zerk after driving is a good way to tell if there is still pressure. I looks for a spray of grease flung out after driving.

took off the zerks. nothing came out. doesn't seem to be gunked up. think i'm just gonna drop the shafts after it cools down and give them a cleaning.

wanted to do the 7pin mod so i could at least do the front first and still drive but of all the damn things to slow me down the f$!!'ing 4 black screws holding he ABS ECU are seemingly on like glue and afraid of stripping them out.

oh the joys of doing this stuff myself. its always some little nonsense that makes an hour job an all day affair for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom