Pin for Timing Belt Idler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I could not get the new pin into the hole with sufficient confidence that it would not fall out. So I left it out…

Why couldn't you get it in? From memory I whacked it in with a piece of timber and a hammer.

Thought I would move the line further around, perhaps closing the circle on one item and bring this thread to the top.

In addition to a friend having a pin readily available, I bowed to internal pressure and timelines, (prepping for a trip to Utah Nevada and Arizona) installed one pin, then the new bearing, belt and spring. I used a little Permatex High Temp Sleeve Retainer but figure most of that sloughed off as it was tapped in, however perhaps the placebo effect will work for me.

I've put 10,000kms on that vehicle since then and figured I'd pull the cover and inspect things. All was good.

I've also spent a little more time in EPC. It was really interesting to hear that some of the world market got 1HD-T equipped 80 series till at least 1996 thanks to HRTROB.

EPC calls the aluminum housing the timing detail bolts to the "Retainer, Camshaft Oil Seal" 11382-17010

Using that number (good for 1990 - up 1HD-T) on line pictures show no holes for pins, as per the 1996 1HDT shown above in HRTROB's post. If I needed this cover during a rebuild for my 1HD-T this is what I would get. So Toyota must consider the pin/s not needed; In hindsight I may have well just left it with no pin.

I then looked around at the hydraulic style idler bearing setup used in the 1HD-FT (wouldn't that be nice) and saw the number good for the HZ application after the mid 1990's. As the 1HD-T shares the single cam I then took a look on line at the hydraulic oil retainer cover profile compared to the spring style cover. No go, different profile. It would be interesting and only worth exploring during a complete rebuild of a 1HD-T, but I wonder what would be needed to adopt the hydraulic idler bearing such as the Retainer, Cam Bearing, Cover, timing Gear, No.2 and then things in front like the cover. Or what else changed and would make it not viable.

gb

The 12 valve 1HDT was still used in the 100 series up until 08/2002. It uses the same tensioner and idler pulley as the 01/1995 to 01/1998 1HD-FT. The timing belt and "retainer, camshaft oil seal" have different part numbers though.

Another data point. This is on my 1992 HZJ80 that I'm doing a water pump job on. Both pins are present.

20210501_133113.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom