Pics of the beater 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you check the fusable links? All ignition related fuses? The EFI relay? Those should blow and protect the system in a dumb a## move like reversing the battery terminals. That would be much cheaper than a blown computer. Those Toyota computers are made out of gold and saffron and cost near $1000. My $$ is on a bad fusable link. Just buy a new set ($12) and see if it works.

No idiot lights to speak of just the diff lock light since its in low range..

Where abouts are the fusable links?

lowtideride said:
Where abouts are the fusable links?

At the positive battery terminal.
-B-

there is another thread with the same problems and it was his fusable link. It was just a couple of days ago. Do a search on fusable and you should find it. He had some nice pics there as well and the completely wrong repair of it.

Found it

thanks this non-2f stuff is over my head :rolleyes:

laaaanndd tank thank you for looking that up....I saw that harness smoking when he did it. So, I am willing to bet you hit the nail on the head...thanks

ON the 91-92 there is a problem wiht a wire being the wrong gauge and frying that will cause it not to start. Once you upgrade the wiring the problem is gone. I can not find the thread though that talks about this.

lowtide I know you are old school but you need to PM cruiserdan and get a F S Manual. it will make your life one H E double hockey sticks of a lot better trouble shooting this thing. You can't think about the swaps you are contemplating without one.

I agree on the fusible links as the solution here

on the 3FE "relay" issue, here is a link to the problem and fix if no one has linked it for you yet. there are other write ups. an extra EFI relay in the glovebox is also cheap insurance.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42294&highlight=efi+main+relay+3fe

duct tape works better than packing tape at fixing a cracked bellows...

Gessh Semlin... Just becasue I asked some Questions does not make me old school and yes I can do all the stuff I am talking about without a FSM, Putting an H55F on a 3FE is not the end of the world. I have set R&Ps before, fabbed tranny mounts before, S.O. cruisers before, worked on trannys and clutches, So, yes I can think and will do that stuff with or without a factory manual. Yes, I would love to have one but I have not needed one so far. Maybe some day I will drop the coin and get it.

I did not put tape on the intake the P.O. did.

I have got the 80 running after finding a few blown fuses, trashed EFI relay, and some melted wires.

I know you think I should keep the auto and full time 4 wheel drive but I dont want or need either of them...

Don't worry brotha just a difference of opinion and thanks for the help...see ya on the trail...

semlin said:
lowtide I know you are old school but you need to PM cruiserdan and get a F S Manual. it will make your life one H E double hockey sticks of a lot better trouble shooting this thing. You can't think about the swaps you are contemplating without one.

I agree on the fusible links as the solution here

on the 3FE "relay" issue, here is a link to the problem and fix if no one has linked it for you yet. there are other write ups. an extra EFI relay in the glovebox is also cheap insurance.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42294&highlight=efi+main+relay+3fe

duct tape works better than packing tape at fixing a cracked bellows...

Think about it?...hes already planninng it!

lowtideride said:
I know you think I should keep the auto and full time 4 wheel drive but I dont want or need either of them...

Dude, you really do, trust me. It's soooo much easier to put spray velveeta on ritz while driving and wheelin with an auto and full time 4wd. :D

concretejungle said:
Dude, you really do, trust me. It's soooo much easier to put spray velveeta on ritz while driving and wheelin with an auto and full time 4wd. :D

What if I have silly low gears? huh huh? :D with the H55F setup I can later add a rock box :bounce:

this way I can make a sandwhich, take a nap, get out and pee and the 80 would only be 10feet from when I put it in gear...ya know before the nap, sandwhich and pee. :flipoff2:

lowtideride said:
I am in the process of removing useless body parts and bumpers. It will be painted poo brown since I can't do anything normal.

-Al :beer:
threadjack.gif

Um...Just currious , What usless parts will be removed?!?
gimme.gif
:cheers:
Looks like fun.
Thanks

lowtide, sorry I have no doubt you can do the swaps and I meant no disrespect by calling you old school. It's just I can see you come from a 60 background where you are used to mucking through. The wiring/computer/EFI system on an 80 is more complicated than anything in a 60 and I think you are going to get stalled as you go trying to figure out stuff that is written up in great detail in the FSM. As one example, if your 91 is the same as my 93 then the ECU controls the tranny using a TCM. The FSM is solid gold for figuring that stuff out. I have always hated haynes manuals. The FSM is a work of art in comparison.

Vitesse_6 said:
threadjack.gif

Um...Just currious , What usless parts will be removed?!?
gimme.gif
:cheers:
Looks like fun.
Thanks

flares,running boards, roof racks, bumpers, auto tranny/t-case, hubs, 4 miles of exhaust....the list goes on. Since the body lines are nice a straight in the 80 I want to exo-cage it, I followed an exo'd 80 thru tellico and it saved the truck on everytrail and since the 60 is starting to look like a beer can, I would at least like to have one nice looking vehicle..welll sheet metal wise anyway.

i'd like to see an exo cage

Sweet 80 alex. Just saw wes 40 after he took off the gay light bar and stuff. You need to bring one of you rigs up here. My samurai buggy is slowing moving along so some day we can wheel

tyson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom