Photos of knuckles: Experts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed.....

Eric,
Get with the program. Ignore the color... (unless it's that dreadful green) and buy the darn thing if it has lockers.
:D
-B-

"dreadful green"

:flipoff2:

Easy now..

Doug "6M1" M

From the supplied pics, can you see (and point out) the filler plug for grease?

Cheers, Hugh

Can't really see it in the supplied pics (it's covered in grease), but here's a pic from George's website from his birf repack. In this picture, he's removing the ABS sensor, but the fill plug is the highlighted circle.

there was a thread about a month or 2 ago that showed some photos of the knuckles with IIRC a more serious leak. Can't find it. Anybody remembers? Might have been a prepurchase inspection photo thread... Would like to see the difference for my learning curve.
Eric

Hey C-Dan:

I've got 15 days left on my Toyota Extended Care Warranty. Is this knuckle job a warranty item or just routine maintenance ? Any other suggestions ?

Thank you,

Matt

If your birfields are shot you can get both Newfields for about $500
In the TLCA mag they said they have a LifeTime warranty.
They are stronger, I hope.

This is an instance where Toyota not identifying front axle repacks/seals with a maintenance interval could play to your advantage. If they're leaking gear oil, you could easily make a case that the inner axle seal has "failed" and is allowing cross contamination w/ the front diff. I'd drain a speck into a clear baby food jar from each diff and bring that with. The difference in the appearance of these will startle most service writers.

I've heard of it being covered, but frankly a well informed and familiar mechanic would correctly identify it as routine maintenance.

DougM

Matt,

If you are refering to Toyota Extra Care, it may cover the job IF the inner axle seals are leaking. Ask you dealer, it can't hurt.

Sometimes inner axle seals "fail" at 59,800 odd miles. ::)

Thank you. I put a call into them. As long as its documented prior to warranty expiration, Toyota will still honor the claim afterwards right ?

Matt

P.S. Where do I ship the beer C-Dan ?

I took the Beast into Toyota as I noticed that my knuckles looked like the ones in the photos. My axle seals are in fact leaking and since the Toyorta Extra Care warrenty is good for 10 more days, Toyota is fixing it under warranty. Thank you guys !!

Anything else I should have done while they're in there ? I'm having the warped rotors and front brake pads replaced.

Thank you,

Matt :D

eh Matt, well that's a nice ending to the story. Glad I put up the photos.
Eric

Eric:

You saved me $1,250. Where do I send the beer ?

Thanks again,

Matt

If I'm gonna replace my birfields along with a knuckle rebuild (265k miles), will they come with the cage and ball bearings? Or do I reuse my old ones? What do the Newfields come with?

Jody.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=8429;start=msg71582#msg71582 date=1070604146]

"dreadful green"
:flipoff2:[/quote]

He meant to say bile green. :flipoff2:

You know, green, like what won't be in your pocket after your oil leak. :-X :whoops: :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom